Sign in to follow this  
polarboy

How to initialize a world

polarboy    145
Hi, I am considering a way to set up my world as follows The world is comprised of many Map classes each Map has Map* exits that points to the Map of the linking area. I'm hoping to do something like character.move(character.currentmap->exit[0]) to move a character to the next map; I'm thinking of recursively initializing linked area with something like
    while (lua_next(L, -2) != 0) {
        /* uses 'key' (at index -2) and 'value' (at index -1) */
        //add your own code to get the key and value
        exits_scrpt[i] = lua_tostring(L, -1);
        cout <<"exits:"<<exits_scrpt[i]<<endl;
        exits = new Map(exits_scrpt[i],i,exits);
        //here I provided an index, the script to load from, and the pointer to the current map to the next one
        exits++;
        i++;
        /* removes 'value'; keeps 'key' for next iteration */
        lua_pop(L, 1);
    }

and link back to this map using the code in constructor. But then I realized there would be problems when two or more maps link to the same map, in which case, another instance of that map will be created and that is not desired. Do you think this way would work? Or should I just assign an id to a map and use the ids to find the maps to be operated on?

DekuTree64    1168
Recursive initialization sounds scary, for maps that can link back and forth to eachother in any order. ID values would be a good choice. Or you could do a 2 pass initialization, where the first pass creates all the maps, and the second pass sets the exit pointers. But that usually requires ID values anyway, since you need some way of finding the already-created maps that the current one links to.

polarboy    145
yeah, that's what I was considering
I think I'll organize all the related maps under an Area struct, and assign IDs within an area