GeForce 3... how many using it to code?

Started by
1 comment, last by Lurking 22 years, 9 months ago
Hey, i was thinking about buying the new GeForce3 card. Right now i am using a Voodoo5 5500. How many people here are using the GeForce3 card. Also how easy is it to use the new Opengl features they give you to work w/? Thanx. - Lurking
- Lurking
Advertisement
Well, you could be treading dangerous ground with that. First of all, not many people ahve GF3s yet, and second of all, its not too well documented for indies. So, I would suggest you stay with a more ''mainstream'' card for testing for a bit.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials
Depends on what you want to do.

If you are writing a graphics intensive game that is not due out anytime real soon, you should definitely give consideration to purchasing a GF3 so that you can learn and incorporate the new features.

Most people don''t have them now, but by the time your game is finished a whole lot of people will have similar cards that might be using those features.

The thing is, you just can''t make your game dependent on those features. You need to test the device caps to see if they are supported, and if so, use them. If not, revert back to another more common method.

It is definitely more desirable to be working on a GF3 now than it is a Voodoo 5. The NVidia chipsets do not look like they are going to be disappearing anytime soon, and alot of manufacturers are modeling their chips around these. The Voodoo on the other hand is no longer a consideration. Although what NVidia plans on doing with the 3dfx is still up for grabs I guess. lol

Seeya
Krippy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement