Help with my "God Game"

Started by
5 comments, last by SkyPirate 14 years, 10 months ago
Let me just say this first, I am no Atheist, nor do I belive in organized religion. Im what you call an Agnostic. For those of you who might not know what that is ill tell you. An Agostic is someone who "Does not know if God exists." Anyways back to my post. I am new to programming. Yes Ive went down the list of games I should make as a beginner, and had alot of fun doing them. None are really polished though, well my Mario game is the most polished. But anyways, I was thinking of doing a Legend of Zelda game and while I was designing it this idea poped into my head. A God Game! Then I remembered that game Black and White. But just because this game exists doesnt mean I cant make one for my friends and family right? I am just wondering what would be the best way to design this? I never played Black and White, but I think this would be one hell of a good game to make. Who wouldnt wanna be a God? It would kinda be like that episode of Futurama when Bender is floating through space with these little people living on him and think its God. I mean you could grant many prayers or none at all. You could burn down villages, shape the landscape for creaks, rivers and ponds for fishing so the people can eat and put some woods so they can hunt and get wood to make more houses. There are alot of ideas I have but I dont want this to be a super long post and have no one read it. I dont post much on here but I read alot of the threads and love the advice everyone gives each other. So again, what would be the best way to desgin this? I know Blitz Plus and Visual Basic pretty well if that helps. But im trying to learn C++ anyways thanks in advance
Time is an Illusion with a purpose. -Edgar Cacey
Advertisement
Take a look at pretty much any game made by Peter Molyneaux. Populous was his first big hit. Thats an easily achievable God simulation.
Maybe start by playing Black&White or any other God game you think would help you with ideas. Get these ideas and organise them into a list of Features. Try and think what the player will want to do with this God sim and give them the power to do it in a fun way.

Design the "game" around your stronger features e.g. If you had the power to destroy villages with "godly powers" then maybe have a story mode that involves players getting a stronger following which grants more power to the player. Use the powers to then branch off and either influence other Gods followers or destroy them.

Just get messy with scribbling ideas down on a piece of paper and then trying to find the relationships between them and just refine untill you see a game start to take shape.
A rather fun idea I've never bothered to develop much further than simply passing of the mind is the idea of mixing populous/black&white system with pantheon theology running a sims environment.

It would be an interesting twist to play a deity as a sim that also has the control capacity over the world likened to black & white.
Quote:Original post by Griffin_Kemp
A rather fun idea I've never bothered to develop much further than simply passing of the mind is the idea of mixing populous/black&white system with pantheon theology running a sims environment.

It would be an interesting twist to play a deity as a sim that also has the control capacity over the world likened to black & white.

So, you want to play a game about characters playing a video game?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
I think he meant like you would play as a god, but the god would also be a character and have interactions with other gods like in the sims, but you would also be controlling the people too. So like a sims type thing up on mount olympus or whatever, and then a black and white type thing going on at the same time. Sounds like a fun idea actually.
Thank yall for your post, like always yall have been a help. When I get a test build up ill post a demo and ask what yall think of it.
Time is an Illusion with a purpose. -Edgar Cacey

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement