Sign in to follow this  
lonewolff

How to accept multiple clients (Tutorial)

I have just posted tutorial 8 of my Winsock series. This tutorial helps answer to common question - 'how do I accept multiple clients?'. At the end of it you will have a working Win32 GUI based Asyncronous Winsock server capable of recieving as many clients as you like (Hardware, RAM, and bandwicth permitting - of course). I have tested it with 100 dummy clients and am able to send messages to each with no noticable delay (on a LAN). So for anyone interested - here's the link. Accepting multiple connections As always, I love any form of feedback

You need to write a article on making packets, That is the only thing I have issues with so far I have a very basic idea on writing a packet class or struct but I can't get it off the ground. No one ever writes anything on packets it's always about making the network an accepting more then one connection at a time I feel that packets should come before accepting more then one client due to the fact that if you can accept more then one connection then your going to need to be able to read ALOT of data thats where bitstreams, an packets would come in handy.

I make packets but just reading the first WORD for the packet id and the second WORD as the packet size, then copy out the size of the "packet" and typecast it back into my struct... I would do a tutorial but I am woefully under qualified to post anything like that :/

Quote:
Original post by ARC inc
You need to write a article on making packets, That is the only thing I have issues with so far I have a very basic idea on writing a packet class or struct but I can't get it off the ground. No one ever writes anything on packets it's always about making the network an accepting more then one connection at a time I feel that packets should come before accepting more then one client due to the fact that if you can accept more then one connection then your going to need to be able to read ALOT of data thats where bitstreams, an packets would come in handy.

Great advice. This is now on the top of my to do list.
It is funny though, all of the emails I get relate to people wanting to know how to accept more than one connection. But, yes I agree we need to be able to send/recieve something usefull dont we?

goody can't wait, but yes everyone seems to be fixated on getting more then one connection at a time they seem to forget about how to read any data from the sockets.