Books for Windows Programming

Started by
2 comments, last by MJP 14 years, 10 months ago
Hey guys, I'm trying to find some basic Windows programming books for the Win32 API and GDI. I'm in a Windows Programming 1 class right now and I'm doing fine in it grade wise but I don't feel like I'm learning much. We didn't get a book for this class and I'm more of a teach myself kind of person so I'm hoping there's a book I can go buy to read some more about it and actually learn the stuff. Any suggestions? Everything I've found is really old and I'm not sure if it still applies? We're coding in C/C++.
Advertisement
Programming Windows by Charles Petzold is supposed to be the best book on WinAPI or so I hear.
I have a couple of Windows tutorials on my site that may help you along.

Although, my site is mainly geared to Winsock at the moment. But always happy to help where I can though.

Good luck :)
Petzold's book is still considered the "bible" as far as straight-up Win32 programming goes...however you're not likely to find many more books on the subject since the majority of Windows programmers have moved on to .NET. In most cases the Windows API is much like assembly language...it's used under the hood by most programs, but programmers no longer deal with it directly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement