static lib

Started by
15 comments, last by sheep19 14 years, 9 months ago
Hello. I have created a project that consists of several header and source files. I want to create a static library out of those files that are used in the project. How can I do that? (VC++ 2008 EE)
Advertisement
Here's an article: Visual C++ Walkthrough: Creating and Using a Static Library

The core point: instead of making an .exe, you alter the project properties so that it builds a .lib. Then you link against that library in the .exe project.
I changed the project properties so that it creates a static lib but when I build I get :

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This is probably because you are trying to debug the program, how are you building? If you a just hitting F5 then this will be why, you can use F7 to build without debugging.
Quote:Original post by _moagstar_
This is probably because you are trying to debug the program, how are you building? If you a just hitting F5 then this will be why, you can use F7 to build without debugging.

Yeah I was doing that, Thanks :)

Does the file that includes "main" have to be included?
Quote:Original post by sheep19
Does the file that includes "main" have to be included?

No, a static lib doesn't have an entry point so you don't need to include that file for compilation. HTH
Thanks for the help!

I have another question. My library uses SDL and boost. Will I have to include SDL and boost to use my .lib? Or everything will be built in the .lib file?

EDIT:

Ok I created the .lib file. Its size is 5116 KB :|
I also created a new project, put the lib file in the linker's input and tried to compile. I get:

1>------ Build started: Project: Reach The Summit!, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1>Linking...
1>MSVCRT.lib(crtexew.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16
1>G:\Minas\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Reach The Summit!\Release\Reach The Summit!.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
1>Build log was saved at "file://g:\Minas\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Reach The Summit!\Reach The Summit!\Release\BuildLog.htm"
1>Reach The Summit! - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

What's wrong?

That's the code by the way:
#include "Min_SpriteLib.h"int main(int argc, char *args[]){	return 0;}

[Edited by - sheep19 on June 22, 2009 9:23:44 AM]
I have another question. My library uses SDL and boost. Will I have to include SDL and boost to use my .lib? Or everything will be built in the .lib file?

I would leave it so that any exe that links with your .lib also has to link with sdl and the boost libs you are using.
What's wrong?

Looks like you're trying to build a Win32 application, is this definately the correct setting? Or should you be building a console application? If you are building a Win32 application, then your main function should be a WinMain function.
Quote:Original post by _moagstar_

I would leave it so that any exe that links with your .lib also has to link with sdl and the boost libs you are using.

How can I leave it the way you are suggesting? (or maybe the programmer who uses it only have to include SDL and not boost)

Is there a way to choose when I build the library if it is going to be a console or a windows app?

[Edited by - sheep19 on June 22, 2009 1:28:01 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement