Im Back, and want Feedback on Two Concepts

Started by
2 comments, last by leeor_net 14 years, 10 months ago
I havent logged in for about 6 months... however since then I have become much more knowledgeable in what I am doing and hopefully can create something that I can be proud of. Last time I posted I was embarking on a journey to single handedly build a 2D mmo... and obviously failed horribly. Thus, I have turned to small projects, such as the creation of small cartoonish Java games. However, my dreams of multiplayer online glory have gotten the best of me again. I have two ideas before you today. I have time for one, but that doesnt mean the other may come at a later date. CONCEPT 1: Codename: Amusement Park Online- Basically an online MUD in which you build an online amusement park, compete against other players in a Strategy MUD format, and be part of a thrill-seeking community. I know this lacks many of the technical aspects of a game you would look for, but I have yet to decide on a programming language, as I am juggling from PHP to Java. Please help me on this. CONCEPT 2: Some of you most likely know a user on this forum named Zuka, who is currently managing a vast MMO project, Exoterra. I have created small online MMO's in the past that basically act as an online hangout using Java. I have already begun work and was approved to create a small promotional MMO, Exoterra: Cantina in order to provide a place for community members to chat easier then the forums. However, Ive hit a few snags, got behind on updates (thus temporarily losing my free server slot from DimensioneX.net) and am unsure if this venture is worth continuing, as a early alpha test with Zuka ended in disaster (My GUI and navigational system failed in a fashion that would make even the humblest of programmers cringe). Is this worth continuing? The community seems to have moved on, and I'm tetering between letting it go as a bold first venture into programming, and finishing what could be the first in a line of online social hangouts. Feedback is most appreciated!
The below statement is true.The above statement is false.
Advertisement
As for Concept 2, I'd suggest that if the community has moved on and you've effectively forgotten about it, just drop it. Sometimes it's best to leave something as is, learn from it and move on.

As for concept 1, that's an interesting idea. I suppose it all depends on how you intend for it to work. Assuming that you've truly learned that MMO's are not for the faint of heart and takes a lot more knowledge than a few API calls, a MUD is a good start into network protocol design and development. I'm not sure how detailed you've gotten with it (e.g., do you plan on making a real game with it? Is it text-based or graphical? Is it more of a graphical chat client?).

Anyway, good luck! Keep pressing on. Know that you're going to fail at some projects but everything you do is experience developing software.

-Lead developer for OutpostHD

http://www.lairworks.com

Thanks! I am currently planning on keeping Concept 1 text based, which some static images thrown in to represent some of the items the players would buy (types of rollercoasters, rides, booths etc).

So far PHP is seeming the most prommising for this.
The below statement is true.The above statement is false.
PHP is a good way to do this as it keeps everything server side and you have the option of using a SQL database to store information making things fast and safe.

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want to do. This is the first time I've heard of a web-based MUD but whatever works, right?

-Lead developer for OutpostHD

http://www.lairworks.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement