I'm making a BUILD Engine game!

Started by
10 comments, last by mickey96 14 years, 9 months ago
Hello, I'm new here. I was working on a FreeDOS-releated game, called Shaw's Nightmare. It is in alpha game, so if you want to test it please post here. Download it here.
I like FreeDOS!
Advertisement
Runs on DOS 6.22, in case you're after a test result. Leaves the screen garbled when you exit, though.

Given that the source code for BUILD has been released and ported to modern operating systems and 3D accelerators, would you consider a Windows version along with the DOS version?

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

The last time I tried to program in Windows was a pain.

About the garbled screen when you quit, show a picture of how it is garbled. Else I won't be able to help you...

Download alpha 0.6 here.

[Edited by - mickey96 on July 4, 2009 8:50:37 AM]
I like FreeDOS!
Quote:Original post by mickey96

and dos is easier? man, whatever it was that you were doing, you were doing it wrong.
(maybe we can help you out there)
your never as good as they say you were, never as bad as they say you was.
Quote:Original post by Matt_D
man, whatever it was that you were doing, you were doing it wrong.

All right a few things, the problem is that I don't know how to write Windows applications (programs) and I never did. But I've made some programs for DOS though.

And if I was to do this myself I would have to :
- Rewrite some functions like initkeys(), inittimer(), and some source files like SOUND.C. This is a hardest task I could ever do.
- Probably, the most painful part, is to change my code's syntax.

And I'm not doing it wrong, DOS is a great environment for learning the underlying principals of game programming. All the main principals that are used for any platform can be learned in an easy to use, and popular operating system.

And I love DOS too.
I like FreeDOS!
You might look into the Ogre rendering engine. http://www.ogre3d.org/

No Win32 API in sight and it supports OpenGL and DirectX. Also Mac and Linux are supported as well.

Enjoy.
And if I was to do this myself I would have to :
- Rewrite some functions like initkeys(), inittimer(), and some source files like SOUND.C. This is a hardest task I could ever do.
Yeah, replacing some 5 dozen ancient proprietary sound card code paths with simple, standardized, API calls is a bitch!

I don't know why you'd want to muck around in an engine and an OS that both died almost 15 years ago. Especially when the tools of today are so much easier to use and so much more powerful.

You could get so much more done using modern tools like XNA or Unity, or even the Quake 2/3 engine.

About the garbled screen when you quit, show a picture of how it is garbled. Else I won't be able to help you...

Download alpha 0.6 here.

OK, something needs to be done about this.

If you are working in dos simply because you want that retro feel, you could easily generate the same retro feel with a modern API but with much less effort.

Many people find setting up and learning API's difficult, and they often decide to either write it themselves from scratch, or use one they are already comfortable with, even if that means forgetting about certain features. What you need to do instead, is learn to set up modern API's. Its not hard after you did a few.

Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
- Probably, the most painful part, is to change my code's syntax.

is that even possible?? O.o
I tip my hat to you.

I've been thinking about trying my hand at coding some DOS apps myself, simply because I'm curious and I'd love to have the experience programming games with the kind of constraints and pitfalls that the likes of id Software had to put up with back then.

Ultimately, my goal is to learn some assembly and create my own Megadrive game. I'm desperately seeking out one of those Mega PCs that had the Megadrive ISA card inside. I'd be the happiest man alive.

Of course, you are limiting your audience here. Not a lot of people will be able to run your game! Win32 programming isn't all that bad (it's definitely a whole lot better than coding for DOS/4G anyway), and there's plenty of alternatives.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend XNA. I've fallen in love with it. You'll have yourself a 2D game up and running in a matter of minutes, then just learn some basic HLSL and how to load in 3D models, and you're on your way.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement