Moving from Fixed-Function to Shaders

Started by
4 comments, last by Wilhelm van Huyssteen 14 years, 10 months ago
Hi everyone, How hard is it to move from using the fixed-function pipeline and render states to shaders, if you understand render states and the logic and theory behind programming graphics that way? Thanks. Edit - I know this varies from person to person, but what do you think, on average?
Advertisement
I really don't think it will be that hard. Of course, you many have to familiarize yourself with quite a bit more mathematics, but other than that it should be easier. At least I find it easier than manipulating the fixed-function pipeline to achieve desired effects.

Good luck.
Denzel Morris (@drdizzy) :: Software Engineer :: SkyTech Enterprises, Inc.
"When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities." - David Hume
Ok, thanks for the reply.
Well if you fully understand how the fixed pipline works, and know your linear algebra, its quite easy to move on to shaders.

Your just doing what the fixed pipeline does for you automatically, so you have more control on what your doing.

There are three kinds of shaders, depending on how good you are at math and how to use it I guess it varies, you cant really do things like making up a lighting formula, okay well you can, but it may take awhile, most people research theories on the subject, then you just implement it into what your doing.

So its not a matter of how /hard/ it is, just if you need to use it, there's no sense in writing a shader for something that can be done in a few function calls, unless you are planning to expand later etc. ... or if you just like writing them ^__^
Baaa,StaticSheep
If you ignore the code base behind making the shader system convienient to use, then i find shaders much easier to use than FFP. Rather than digging through all kinds of docs describing the different, limited, functions of the FFP, you can easily create your own specification for any kind of effect you can imagine. Everything makes more sense because it's all explicitly described (by you), not hidden behind some curtain. I haven't supported FFP in about 3 years.

Give it a shot in a tiny stand alone demo, i think you'll fall in love quickly. Implement a scrolling texture or any other procedural texture manipulating shader and you'll be hooked. Crazy mask swizzling is also fun.
Hey. ive just recently been through all of that. Took me a good 3 weeks of spare time (and some questions on these forums) to get my engine do the same with shaders that it could do with fixed functionality and a little more. was quite fun learning the basics of shaders and now everything just makes more sense :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement