Character Freedom - Opinions Needed!

Started by
0 comments, last by doomhascome 14 years, 10 months ago
What are the absolute freedoms a players character must be able to do within a game? Firstly I know it would be dependant on what game you have in mind and what the player is trying to achieve. I have my own game in mind when asking this question and think I've convinced myself on the solution but I would like to know what everyone else thinks in regards to my decision. When it comes to a character within my game I don't feel much is gained from being allowed to swim underwater. The game is semi realistic so players wouldn't have infinite amounts of health though very few might possess a spell allowing them the ability. Combat mechanics would vary greatly within water / under it so that would require a new or altered system. Deep sea exploration would be lost but I think the few underwater environments wouldn't be missed. I've decided on allowing players to swim on the surface with limited abilities but also dive just below and continue swimming as a defence mechanism plus giving access to "hidden" areas they might discover through exploration. Is the loss of free directional swimming beneath a waters surface a big loss? I know it’s hard to know if it really matters towards my games situation but how would you all feel as designers / players with this choice? Thanks
Advertisement
Hm. It really depends on the game. If the game takes place on an island, where water plays a large role, and you have to venture down a lot into the water, the inability to explore would be annoying. If, on the other hand, the game is mostly land based, with a few water scenes, keeping the player unable to venture to deep could help keep the player exploring the areas you want them to.

Particularly since it would take a ton of coding time to make the underwater mechanics work, as well as balancing, I would say that it would likely be better to make the rest of the game good, and leave out the depth of the sea.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement