Book recommendation

Started by
3 comments, last by Ezbez 14 years, 10 months ago
I'm looking for a book that covers topics like game design, game industry, game project management, business, etc. I am a programmer, so I do not need a deep understanding of these areas. I am not interested in buying separate books. It especially caught my attention the following book: Introduction to game development It seems nice and its second edition is comming out, but I can barely glance at it in Amazon to check whether it is of my interest. Do you know whether chapters like "game design" are appropriate for a game programmer? I don't think I need to read books like "Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams on Game Design". What do you think? Any other recommendation? Thank you! [Edited by - Nene on June 22, 2009 1:58:31 PM]
Advertisement
Wow, I actually just started re-reading the first edition of that Introduction book last night! While that book is nice, it focuses a bit much more on the programmers area and not a lot about the general areas of production or the industry (though it's still an amazing book).

I'd recommend Game Development Essentials: Game Project Management. The book is general enough for a great overview understanding and is a quality book featuring nice glossy images of current generation games and professional developer comments throughout. I think that specific book would suit your purposes best, but would recommend anything from the Game Development Essentials series.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Thanks for your reply, I already have graphics & game programming books like:

Real-Time Rendering 3rd ed
Artificial Intelligence for games
Game Physics
Introduction to 3d Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c A shader approach
Core techniques and algorithms in game programming
Game coding complete 3rd ed (just ordered)

among many others about C++, General programming, Assembly, Calculus and Algebra.

I'd like to know two things about "Introduction to Game Development", please:
1. How is the game design chapter? Is it a resume of what may be found in other game design books? Does it talk about game balance, gameplay and stuff like that? Or does it just cover "what makes a game fun"?
2. Having all the books I listed above, does the programming sections give relevant information? Or are merely introductions to AI, Graphics, etc.?

"Game Development Essentials: Game Project Management" might be interesting but it won't cover game design and other stuff.

What about "Game Development Essentials: An Introduction‎"? Although it is shorter, it seems to cover similar topics without the programming sections.

The problem with this series of books is its price and number of volumes. This is why I was first interested in "Intro", because it may gather the most important topics found in Game Development Series, which are necessary (and enough) for a programmer to know.

Thanks a lot!!

[Edited by - Nene on June 22, 2009 5:17:00 PM]
have you been to industrybroadcast.com ever? I read about it on the gdnet home page last week and have been addicted... lots of cool broadcasts... lots about game design... and he updates it every couple days usually.

------------------------------

redwoodpixel.com

Game design and game project management are highly different beasts. I wouldn't expect to find both in the same book in any worthwhile depth. I have recently read GD.net's very own Business and Production of Game Development, and can say that it could serve as a good introduction to leading a game development project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement