I would like to have some advise on Blitzmax

Started by
3 comments, last by doorMaster 14 years, 10 months ago
Okay, I am very new to blitzmax, and I would like to know how i should go about making game levels, should I create a new max file for every map and when the player finishes a level it loads the next max file? So far that seems the best way to go about this, although i have not tested it yet... Also where can i go to learn the basics of the code is there any books online, tutorials, or anything? THANKS for the help beforehand!
Advertisement
Quote:Also where can i go to learn the basics of the code is there any books online, tutorials, or anything?

The Blitzmax community forums have just about everything you could ever hope to find online. [smile]

You just create an account and link in your product keys from your purchase and you should be set to use all the features of the board. They have a lot of code there that can help out.

Also don't forget to checkout the help documents provided with Blitzmax. Those provide simple examples of the API and basic programming knowledge you should learn first. Happy learning!
Quote:Original post by SamysamOkay, I am very new to blitzmax, and I would like to know how i should go about making game levels, should I create a new max file for every map and when the player finishes a level it loads the next max file? So far that seems the best way to go about this, although i have not tested it yet...

I think you're new to programming in general, because this question is about programming in general, not BlitzMax in particular. Honestly, you're not really ready for the answer to this question because it simply isn't possible to go into the kind of detail you would need for a question like this. At this point in your learning, you really don't want to be creating games with multiple levels. Stick with something pretty simple that doesn't really have a notion of levels. Space Invaders or Pong or something.

Nevertheless, I'll try to give you a broad answer which will hopefully make more sense as you progress through learning the language. No, you don't code each level separately. You write your game such that it loads or reads or generates the level in some manner and can then handle whatever data that level might contain. Exactly how you go about this will vary hugely, but for something simple you might have a text file which contains a list of filenames for the levels. You load the textfile, read the filenames and load them in order as you go through the game. Something like that.
Fuck it then, I get the same shit every damn time. I just don't know where the hell I should start with programing.

I have tried to learn a few different languages and can't find a good one to learn that can give you something to teach you how to learn it.

I really want to learn programming but I give up.

AND I can't use their damn forum because I have a trail version, and I do not have $80 to waste on learning nothing.

My "game" seems MUCH more simple then Space invaders, mainly becuase I would have to impliment movement, projectiles, movement of space ships, score, lives, and more.
Quote:Original post by Samysam
Fuck it then, I get the same shit every damn time. I just don't know where the hell I should start with programing.

I have tried to learn a few different languages and can't find a good one to learn that can give you something to teach you how to learn it.

I really want to learn programming but I give up.

AND I can't use their damn forum because I have a trail version, and I do not have $80 to waste on learning nothing.

My "game" seems MUCH more simple then Space invaders, mainly becuase I would have to impliment movement, projectiles, movement of space ships, score, lives, and more.

One starts programming from learning the small stuff, then you work your way up by building on top of that. If your game is more simple than space invaders, then you can most likely do it with SDL, which is a nice gateway drug to get you into programming more interesting (see: complex) games.

sybixsus gave you the answer to your original question, a really good one at that. However, the answer to how you learn how to program is by reading and doing it, it's that simple :) There are plenty of tutorials online (google lazyfoo, it is great for starters) that get you started with the basics of game programming, but most assume that you understand at least a little bit about programming in general. It does not cost a thing to learn to program, there are so many free resources out there.. it just takes some googling, some forum reading, and, most importantly, persistence to find them. You can do it, just don't give up :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement