Visual Studio weirdness

Started by
4 comments, last by nobodynews 14 years, 10 months ago
I have an issue where highlighting anything in VS puts me into insert mode (like hitting the insert key on your keyboard). This is extremely annoying and I don't know how it got that way or how to fix it. Anyone know what the deal is???
Advertisement
Did you try a reboot?
Not yet come to think of it actually. Its my system at work, where I just started. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.
Unfortunately, that didnt work. Anyone else? This is really bothering me... Imagine coding without being able to highlight anything...
But it is normal behaviour, if you highlight a piece of text, and then press a printable key, that it will overwrite the selection (like with the insert key you overwrite the char behind the caret). 98% if editors do it like that.

Or I am a total fool for not understanding what you describe. Then, would you mind increasing the signal, maybe with a screenshot?
Quote:Original post by phresnel
But it is normal behaviour, if you highlight a piece of text, and then press a printable key, that it will overwrite the selection (like with the insert key you overwrite the char behind the caret). 98% if editors do it like that.

Or I am a total fool for not understanding what you describe. Then, would you mind increasing the signal, maybe with a screenshot?

In Visual Studio in the lower right corner of the status bar the editor displays whether you are in 'INS' or 'OVR' modes probably for 'insert' and 'overwrite' respectively. I believe the OP might mean that by selecting a string of text the editor will literally switch from 'INS' to 'OVR' instead of merely overwriting the selected text with whatever he typed. But it could be that what is happening is as you describe which is normal.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement