Sign in to follow this  
Maverick Programmer

Visual Studio 2005 EE Setup can't establish connection to the server

Wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but a group I started working with uses VC 2005 Express Edition. I use 2008. They said the project had compatibility issues with 2008, that's why they use 2005. Anyway, I received the set-up from them ( because all the ones on the internet were corrupted or something ) and the actual installation portion needs to establish connection to the server. It can't for some reason. The internet connection is real good and I even turned my firewall off to see if that was it, yet the setup cannot establish connection. What the crap do I do?

leeor_net    343
If the installer is what I think it is, you have what's called a stub installer -- in other words, it needs to connect to a download server and download the rest of the files it needs to properly install. Seeing as Microsoft is no long distributing VS2005E, you're shit out of luck. Your only options is to use VS2008E unless you want to obtain an older copy of VS2005 either by buying a used copy or through other methods that I can't condone on GD.Net.

As for compatibility issues, that all depends. I've had very few issues with upgrading from one project to the next. It does require a separately mantained solution/project however and more than likely you'll need to recompile all of the dependencies. If they can be more specific about what these so-called compatibility issues are I may be able to help you upgrade it.

hi below is a link to the iso version of Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=57034

(you can burn this to CD, or you can use winRAR to extract the files to a folder to desktop and run setup from that, Or you could even mount the image using daemon tools)

after you install it i suggest you grab the service pack from :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7b0b0339-613a-46e6-ab4d-080d4d4a8c4e&displaylang=en