How to tear a soft body?

Started by
3 comments, last by bzroom 14 years, 9 months ago
I use NVIDIA PhysX. I find that,When I tear the soft body,I just tear the tetrahedras,and the surface mesh still links with tetrahedras. Anyone can help me? Thanks.
Advertisement
So you're saying that the body separates physically, but the graphics remain connected?

If this is the case, then you simply need to disconnect the faces in the graphics mesh also. You may even want to cap them, if it's a solid body.

The graphics mesh is stored as some kind of vertex order, possibly an indexed vertex array. To remove the connected faces it would be as easy as removing the correct indices or vertices.

But, that all depends on my initial question.
Quote:Original post by bzroom
So you're saying that the body separates physically, but the graphics remain connected?

If this is the case, then you simply need to disconnect the faces in the graphics mesh also. You may even want to cap them, if it's a solid body.

The graphics mesh is stored as some kind of vertex order, possibly an indexed vertex array. To remove the connected faces it would be as easy as removing the correct indices or vertices.

But, that all depends on my initial question.

Thank for your reply.
Here is a image about Lesson1102_PalmTree,I set the softbody tearable.
It looks as if the tetrahedras are teared,but the surface mesh still link.
Can you give me a demo or tutorial for tear the softbody? There is only one example in NVIDIA SDK,that's not enough.

the image as follows,
http://album.hi.csdn.net/app_uploads/lizhigang34/20090623/151542441.p.jpg?d=20090623152133613
It seems to be exactly the issue i was trying to describe.

I cannot give you a demo or tutorial. But I will say with high confidence that you just need to disconnect the faces of the graphics mesh in the same way they are disconnected from the physics mesh. This way there is not a discrepency between the two, causing all kinds of crazy jaggyness.

You just need to break the mesh when the mesh breaks..

Could you show us the code that runs when the mesh seperates to update the graphics? maybe we could spot something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement