Sign in to follow this  
kburkhart84

Ideas for Missile Command Remake

kburkhart84    3182
I think a game I would like to see is a missile command remake, of course with beautiful graphics and particle effects, but also plenty of new gameplay ideas. I intend to have the original atari missile command enemies, which were the slower moving missiles that left lines, and the smart bombs, which avoided the players shots semi-smartly. I also intend to have some new enemies, such as planes that go across the screen, possibly dropping either of the above two enemies, as well as some of the newer types of missiles. A bomb type of enemy that quickly goes from top to bottom but with no intelligence. Some ships that hover around dropping bombs of differing types. There will also be some sort of boss every few levels as well to keep game interesting. Now, I also need to have some different rules for the player's weapons. In the originals, you usually had a limited amount of ammo, but this could cause gameplay problems for boss type levels. So I intend to have one simple weapon that has unlimited weapons, and then several other weapons that you gain from powerups, that will have limited ammo. The unlimited weapon will probably be similar to the original weapon, in that you click the mouse at a specific location, and a missile shoots from your gun to that spot, exploding. The explosion itself is what actually destroyed the enemies, so you had to time it to where the explosion was still in progress when an enemy gets to the given spot. The unlimited ammo weapon will have a small and quick explosion. A couple other weapons could be similar, but with bigger and slower explosions, so they can destroy more enemies. I can have a lighting bolt type weapon, that could be the best weapon, destroying anything in it's path, but being really limited in its use. Another idea is some kind of missile that works like a laser, destroying things in it's path, without using an explosion. Maybe I could also have some kind of missile that splits up and creates several explosion around itself. I intend to make this game a reality, but I wanted some ideas if anyone has any that they would like to see. I need more enemies and player weapons too, if anyone has them. I could also use some opinions on how to control such a game. My first thoughts are to use the mouse to aim, left click to fire, and right click/mouse wheel/number pad/keyboard numbers to switch weapons, so you can keep any weapon ammunition you get indefinetely, though if you die, you lose it. Also, I think my best bet is to have only one gun turret, right in the middle, though I could set it to have one on left, and one on right, using left and right click to control where the shots come from, though then the problem will be controlling which turret uses which weapon, whether they have to use the same weapon or can be separetly chosen during gameplay, and that kind of thing. Any opinions?

Awoken    1104
Hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna flip your idea on its head. Something I'd play is a game where you do the reverse, you're the guy lauching the attack and you have to devistate the computer. You start the game out with a few simple missles and depending on how fast you can launch the missles dertermines how quickly your barrage of dustruction comes down on the computer. You could have it where you click your mouse and hold your left mouse button to start one end of an angle. You drag your mouse cursor up and to the edge of the screen play area. Release the button and a missle will fire in the direction of your cursor line. However, depending on how fast you do this process will determine how fast the missle will come in. Also, depending on your hit/shot down ratio could be a determinate for bigger weapons. So the first few levels the city you're going to devistate are really poorly defended, but then as you go along you have to destroy bigger and bigger cities with larger defences. So you'll need big crazy bombs and stuff. You could then also have Hornets come in and do precision attacks. I like destroying stuff.

Anyways, just some thoughts.

The the graphics could be the aw of destruction.

Edtharan    607
I am actually working on a Player vs Player Missile Command remake. The idea of the game is kind of like an RTS crossed with Missile Command.

You build and upgrade your cities and upgrade your weapons tech levels (getting faster and faster missiles and other weapons) making the game more intense as the game progresses. Eventually one player will not be able to defend their cities as well as the other and will get them blown up and loose the game. There are a few special weapons and abilities that the player can get as well.

So instead of sending troops into battle, you fire missiles at your opponent, and try to destroy any missiles coming at you, all the while managing your cities and tech levels. It should be a fast and intense game.

doomhascome    142
There was a WC3 mod very similar to what edtharan was describing. It actually was pretty good, but eventually turned into a grind-fest in the event you didn't win in the first 10ish minutes, because defenses were too damn good compared to offenses.
That being said, if you could get one missile wave past the turrets, you won, pretty much.

kburkhart84    3182
Quote:
Original post by Awoken
Hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna flip your idea on its head. Something I'd play is a game where you do the reverse, you're the guy lauching the attack and you have to devistate the computer. You start the game out with a few simple missles and depending on how fast you can launch the missles dertermines how quickly your barrage of dustruction comes down on the computer. You could have it where you click your mouse and hold your left mouse button to start one end of an angle. You drag your mouse cursor up and to the edge of the screen play area. Release the button and a missle will fire in the direction of your cursor line. However, depending on how fast you do this process will determine how fast the missle will come in. Also, depending on your hit/shot down ratio could be a determinate for bigger weapons. So the first few levels the city you're going to devistate are really poorly defended, but then as you go along you have to destroy bigger and bigger cities with larger defences. So you'll need big crazy bombs and stuff. You could then also have Hornets come in and do precision attacks. I like destroying stuff.

Anyways, just some thoughts.

The the graphics could be the aw of destruction.

Actually, this isn't a bad idea, I could possibly do more than one campaign, one for each side. I think the problem with the flip-side will be control and variety of weaponry. I doubt I will have any problems with flip-side enemies though. I just don't see too well how I could implement "strategy." For example, the original version involved timing your shots so that your missiles would arrive about the same time as the enemy missiles. If you were good, you could shoot and forget, considering that the missiles can handle their own selves getting to where you shot, while you go setting up more shots.

Assuming you want to level a city, what makes you lose? In the "normal" way, you can still survive as long as you have atleast one city/building left, even it is the only one. How would "lives" work on the flip-side? Would you be required total anihilation on every level, or what constitues a "game over" in this case??

Quote:
Original post by Edtharan

I am actually working on a Player vs Player Missile Command remake. The idea of the game is kind of like an RTS crossed with Missile Command.

You build and upgrade your cities and upgrade your weapons tech levels (getting faster and faster missiles and other weapons) making the game more intense as the game progresses. Eventually one player will not be able to defend their cities as well as the other and will get them blown up and loose the game. There are a few special weapons and abilities that the player can get as well.

So instead of sending troops into battle, you fire missiles at your opponent, and try to destroy any missiles coming at you, all the while managing your cities and tech levels. It should be a fast and intense game.

That also is a good idea, but I don't think it falls into what I'm trying to do. I think if you have a good variety of units/missiles, and make it to where due to strategy, a player that is behind can get back ahead again, and if you have different ways to get ahead, such as maybe a way to build up missiles and fire all at once, or something like that, then your game can come out good, atleast is my opinion.

Edtharan    607
Quote:
That also is a good idea, but I don't think it falls into what I'm trying to do. I think if you have a good variety of units/missiles, and make it to where due to strategy, a player that is behind can get back ahead again, and if you have different ways to get ahead, such as maybe a way to build up missiles and fire all at once, or something like that, then your game can come out good, atleast is my opinion.

By focusing research and building (you have to build the missiles and defensive weapon ammunition as well) in the right way it will enable someone who is behind to get a better shot at being ahead, but the gameplay will rely more on the skill of a player than the specifics of research and building (but they are still necessary).

One of the ideas I am going to use is unspent research points will contribute to unlocking special weapons research trees. These are weapons like MIRVs and the like that will enable someone to access these more powerful weapons. However, they still have to be built before they can be used (unused building points can be contributed to building these).

But back onto your idea:
What about having intelligent enemies/missiles. These would attempt to steer clear of any explosions that are occuring, but with a limited turn rate and speed, they still might get caught up in an explosion.

It wouldn't be too difficult to program this kind of intelligence into it, all it would have to do is detect an explosion in front of it and turn away form it (detect the centre of the explosions, find the line normal between it and the missile and detect which side of that line normal the vector of the missile's travel lies and turn in that direction). Once the explosion has gone, the missile resumes heading to where it originally was headed to.

You could make it that the player would have to have a sequence of shots to force the smart missile into a dead end.

Another idea is a "Drunken" type missile that doesn't follow a straight path, but twists and turns as it heads towards it's target. This would make it harder to target by the player's defenses.

kburkhart84    3182
I need opinions about the music track for this game. I want to do a techno rock style, similar to what can be heard in "Bio-metal" on Super Nintendo. It is like a classic rock with guitar riffs kind of thing, except done with techno/synth instruments. It is most often fast beat with varying themes.

Another option done in many games is to do music based on the level itself, allowing for many different styles. For example, if I have a level on the moon, I need a "space" theme. If I have a level in China or Japan, I would need an oriental style music for that level.

Of course, with either way, the bosses will get there own music, either themed to level(more intense) or possibly a whole new theme only for bosses, regardless of the level.

What I need are opinions on which way is better for a game, and how much it really matters. Would it affect your purchase, assuming we are talking commercial quality?? How much effect would it really have making the music themed to levels, as in, would it make it any more enjoyable, or would it just be different? I understand of course that if I don't theme music to the level it is in, I still have to theme it to an extent, as far as gameplay. I can't put slow classical music in a fast paced action game and expect it to feel right, but assuming I follow this rule, what are any opinions considering the above options???

Thanks in advance for your help.

theOcelot    498
Regarding music, don't stress about it. Just make it slightly appropriate to the game and setting, but unobtrusive. For my part, I'm just as likely to turn it off, because I have my own music somewhere in the background. [smile] Just my $0.02.