Sign in to follow this  

[web] Online Scheduling

This topic is 3093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd like to add online scheduling to a business site of mine. I'd like to keep it simple: my clients can login (I'll have created accounts for them), they can see what weekly dates I have available on a calendar, and they can sign up for them (a slot that will be their's every week). Any suggestions to do this as simply as possible? They already have login accounts with phpBB running on MySQL.... could I use those same login sessions? I'd prefer to have to code as little as possible (i.e., are there open-source projects that can easily be adapted?)

By far the easier and fastest way would be to roll your own. It would be a pain to try to integrate another project for such a little bit of functionality. What is it after all? A couple of time-slot objects and a button or a small form so that a user can pick one. Just write a phpBB extension yourself.

Thanks for the advice. I'll attempt to make something myself. I'm pretty new to web development (am MUCH more familiar with desktop programming), and am hoping to get something simple and functional quick.

A couple questions:

1) How do I best (quickly+simply) extend phpBB? I don't know a whole lot about sessions... any good info somewhere? Can I add a phpBB login to the rest of my site, so the users can use that login anywhere (homepage, forum, scheduler, etc)?

2) Are there calendar templates or something out there that I can use? Or would I need to generate the calendars? (The only calendar functionality would be:
Me: can add availability slots within week
Users: can register for these slots)

I have a passion for learning and would (and probably will at some point) study all this stuff deeply, but at the moment I'm really hoping to get something functional (and not hacky/ugly) up quick.

Well, truth be told I a haven't done much phpBB mods since phpBB 3.0 came out quite some time ago. Back in the 2.x days there were plenty of extensions that allowed you to add a login box to a custom website. I can't image they haven't been developed for 3.x.

As for a calendar, do you need one? From your description above I'd say no. It seems you have a couple of time slots each week, but if someone registers for, say, the friday 12:00-14:00h timeslot then he would get that timeslot every week. So why use a calendar? Just make a list of timeslots. They're the same every week anyway. That will save you all the headache of dealing with calendars.

I found some info on using the phpBB login session. I think I can make it work.

As for the calendar, I think I do need one. Clients will USUALLY sign up for a weekly session, but there are also addons and makeup sessions (one-timers). So these are scheduled on specific days. Also I'd like them to be able to see a month's worth of sessions at a time (as they often have more than one per week).

Thanks for the help. The AJAX Calendar link you posted looked the most promising, but there wasn't much info on it (aside from the actual source files). However, while I was searching for more information on it, I came across this:

qcalendar
This seems to be exactly what I need. This is a tutorial about the logic behind actually creating the calendar from scratch, but there's also a link to a page with source and updates. I like it because it's simple, works well, and I'm able to understand the code so I can easily adapt it to my needs.

This topic is 3093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.