question about game creators!

Started by
1 comment, last by M-E 14 years, 10 months ago
hello all, i have a question about game creators say for the game engine "Unreal Engine 3" would they have 3D molding software in there? and also for making a game company what other software would i need for my artist and game designers and programmers? do i just need a game engine for them and it all comes in one kind of thing or do i need to buy separate things like a 3D molding tool, game engine, ect. And is there any other tools that designers need to use please tell me if there not in this list .Photoshop .3D Studio Max (*if you could explain what this means) .development system (*if you could explain what this means) i am getting my source from http://greggman.com/pages/making2.htm in the category "Time and Money". could you please tell me what my original question is above about the software and what 3D Studio Max is and what is a development system is. Thank you Steven
Advertisement
I've never used the Unreal 3 engine, but I would imagine there is no 3D modeling software built into it. My guess is they use a separate package - maybe 3DS max, or Maya... I don't actually know.

For your company, your probably going to want something for your artists to work with...

A 3d modeling application:
3DS Max, Maya, Blender...

A graphics application:
Photoshop

And a game engine maybe?...

You can have a google for some free ones, or some relatively inexpensive ones. Anything like the Unreal Engine 3 is likely to be out of your reach, not only because of the huge amounts of money it costs for the license, but because Epic only hand out licenses to "real" companies.

You could always make your own in-house engine.

There is really no definitive list of the tools developers use. Different companies will us different things.

Quote:Original post by armbuck
hello all, i have a question about game creators say for the game engine "Unreal Engine 3" would they have 3D molding software in there? and also for making a game company what other software would i need for my artist and game designers and programmers? do i just need a game engine for them and it all comes in one kind of thing or do i need to buy separate things like a 3D molding tool, game engine, ect.

Well, it all depends on what you want to create. From your post it seems that you want to start a game company. You know it's not that easy to start one, do you? But if you want to create a team just to make games you can really decide what you do want to do. Do you want to mod games that are using the Unreal Engine or create your own games?

If the latter one is your choice I would advice you to look for some free engines, since the Unreal Engine 3 requires a license that will cost a fortune. I think some other people might be able to tell you which are the most frequent used ones. But a game engine is just a canvas on which you must paint the game yourself by using the tools you mentioned yourself.

Quote:And is there any other tools that designers need to use please tell me if there not in this list
.Photoshop
.3D Studio Max (*if you could explain what this means)
.development system (*if you could explain what this means)
i am getting my source from http://greggman.com/pages/making2.htm in the category "Time and Money". could you please tell me what my original question is above about the software and what 3D Studio Max is and what is a development system is. Thank you
Steven

To create a game you indeed need those programs(or some variety). 3D Studio Max is an environment in which one can create 3D models, which of course is needed in a 3D game. I don't exactly know what they mean with the development system, but I'm guessing that's the total package of the engine and the tools needed to program the game.

So the things you need is an image editing program like Photoshop, a 3D modeling software (In case of a 3D game) like Blender, an IDE, which is an environment for programming, like Visual Studio and of course a game engine or framework.

To conclude I must say that you don't seem to have read your referred text that well. To start a game company like that you would need a lot of experience and a big heap of money. And besides that it takes quite some people and a lot of time. This was also written in that linked article. My advice is to start small and create a team with a few people and start with some easy games and work your way up from there. A good place to look for a team or for recruiting people is the Help Wanted section.

I hope this is a bit of a help for you.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement