Creating an FPS - I Have a Question

Started by
3 comments, last by Windryder 14 years, 10 months ago
Hey Everyone, I have plans on making an FPS this summer (the demo, at least), and I was just wondering what sort of engines I would need. I know I need graphics and sound, but aside from that, I am unsure. For me: Graphics: Irrlicht Sound: IrrKlang Do I need a physics engine? Or what other sorts are there that I need? Thanks in Advance. -Boaty-
------------------------------do{ WriteGames(); CompileGames(); PlayGames();}while(Me + DX9 + C++ = True♥)†Boaty Program Creed†
Advertisement
If you need to ask this question my guess is that you are not yet into this subject of programming interactive 3D applications. If you goal is to develop a FPS demo you can extend to a game I would then recommend using a comprehensive 3rd party tool such as the Gamestudio A7 toolkit or the Torque Engine and its associated tools.

These tools minimize the programming you need to do yourself to let you concentrate on the game itself rather than technical issues of developing (or combining half-ready) the tools you need before you can even start working on the game.
------------------------------------I always enjoy being rated up by you ...
Well, you would be right; my experience with interactive 3D environments is, well, 0. Just today I saw something called...3D Game Studio. Is this the same as the others?

edit:
Googling makes it appear that Gamestudio A7 is the newest version of the 3D Game studio I saw earlier...
------------------------------do{ WriteGames(); CompileGames(); PlayGames();}while(Me + DX9 + C++ = True♥)†Boaty Program Creed†
Yes "3D Game Studio" used to be its former name. This tool is more like clicking your game together and you should be able to use it with just minimal programming knowledge. But if you get into programming you can do script programming with this tool as well to have a more flexible game world.

The torque engine is more for you if you know programming but just don't want to be bugged with rendering graphics and stuff like that.
------------------------------------I always enjoy being rated up by you ...
Quote:Original post by BoatyDo I need a physics engine? Or what other sorts are there that I need?

I don't know... Do you? If you can't answer that question yourself you should sit down and write up a simple design document for your game. That done, you should be able to determine if physics will have a central role in your game, and if so, implement realistic physics. If you intend to actually impress anyone with your engine it might be a good idea to have realistic physics regardless of whether your game actually needs it, as it is the norm nowadays.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement