Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Multiple Processes and Hidden Windows

This topic is 3096 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm trying to write a little C# program which opens up multiple command line applications. The application I am trying to run uses the window title/caption to update its progress (as a percentage). I'm currently just using multiple instances of Process to do this. I want to open up around 8 of these applications all running simultaneously with all the windows hidden. I then want to be able to pull the captions/text from each individual window and use them to update a progress bar on a windows form or whatever. The problems is that I am unable to pull the window title from the windows when they are hidden. Would this even be possible at all with a changing window title/caption on a hidden window? I've tried GetWindowText() and using the Process.MainWindowTitle but they aren't returning anything. Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

In unmanaged code you can get the title of a hidden console window by calling AttachConsole() on the console window's process id followed by GetConsoleTitle() and FreeConsole(). I don't know if AttachConsole()/FreeConsole() have .NET equivalents, but P/Invoking them shouldn't be a problem since they have very simple function signatures. Reading from Console.Title should be the equivalent of calling GetConsoleTitle(). Also, I believe this technique only works on XP and later.

This topic is 3096 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.