Sign in to follow this  
kvsingh

when to start with 3d game programming?

kvsingh    100
Hello there. I started with game programming about 8 months ago using allegro, but due to procastination and college studies, haven't been able to learn much so far.i've made a tankwar-type 2d game using allegro. i love playing pc games, and would like to get into the 3d gaming industry. i just wanted to ask, now that i've started with making 2d games, is it good to do 2d game programming before jumping to 3d game programming and using an api like opengl and directx. also, when is the right time to jump into 3d game programming? it seems you need to learn a lot of math before starting. i have a strong background in math so far, i have done a course on calculus and linear algebra. is there a lot more to learn before starting? also, i know this question has been asked a lot, but which is better to learn? opengl or directx? i've heard that the gaming industry is windows dominated. however, i love programming on linux. i think i'll learn more quickly if i program on linux. what should be the right decision for me, going for opengl or directx?

jyk    2094
Quote:
started with game programming about 8 months ago using allegro, but due to procastination and college studies, haven't been able to learn much so far.i've made a tankwar-type 2d game using allegro. i love playing pc games, and would like to get into the 3d gaming industry. i just wanted to ask, now that i've started with making 2d games, is it good to do 2d game programming before jumping to 3d game programming and using an api like opengl and directx.

also, when is the right time to jump into 3d game programming? it seems you need to learn a lot of math before starting. i have a strong background in math so far, i have done a course on calculus and linear algebra. is there a lot more to learn before starting?
If you're comfortable with basic linear algebra and trig, you should be fine. In any case, the best way to find out if you're 'ready' for 3-d is probably just to start a 3-d project and see how it goes.
Quote:
also, i know this question has been asked a lot, but which is better to learn? opengl or directx? i've heard that the gaming industry is windows dominated. however, i love programming on linux. i think i'll learn more quickly if i program on linux. what should be the right decision for me, going for opengl or directx?
Since you know this question is asked a lot, then you can probably guess that there are many, many threads in the forum archives on exactly the same subject, and that a forum search will most likely return a good many of them :) Not trying to be glib, but this is what you're going to be told anyway, so I thought I might as well get it out of the way.

If you're interested in developing for platforms/OSs such as Linux and OS X though, the decision is more or less made for you, so just dive in (also, learning OpenGL first will in no way preclude you from picking up another API at some later time).

kvsingh    100
hey, thanks for the reply. btw, just for my knowledge, what exactly is a glib?
i think i'll go ahead with opengl for now, and probably go with directx later. actually my doubt was that both these api's are difficult to master, and i was worried i might not be able to master both of them.

jyk    2094
Quote:
hey, thanks for the reply. btw, just for my knowledge, what exactly is a glib?
It's just a word (definition here).
Quote:
...actually my doubt was that both these api's are difficult to master, and i was worried i might not be able to master both of them.
It's more likely that learning one will make it easier to learn the other, not harder (the two APIs - OpenGL and Direct3D, that is - do basically the same things, just in different ways).