How I got art for my game.

Started by
7 comments, last by Skall 14 years, 10 months ago
Just thought that some of you might find this interesting: "What I asked for were two illustrations in a painterly style — one for a boxart mockup, and another for the game’s title screen. I had some rough ideas for their compositions, but I didn’t dwell on those. Instead, I focused on details such as: theme, compensation ($200 USD, half upfront and half after completion), due date, payment method (PayPal), and delivery format (Photoshop PSD files, with the title screen divided into various layers)." "The post was eventually viewed 1000+ times, and I received 90+ individual offers...Everyone seemed fine with the price as well, with a few notable exceptions. One person offered to do it for $175, another requested $300, and one individual (with no link to any works) complained in broken English that it was too little money and I wasn’t going to find anyone for the job." How I got art for my game. [Edited by - Skall on June 23, 2009 11:38:54 AM]
Advertisement
You know, posting on this kind of site just to promote your blog is usually considered impolite at best.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Sorry, I realize that linking to blogs on forums isn't the most kosher thing to do, but I figured it could prove useful to some other developers out there. Of course if you really think it's inappropriate feel free to delete the thread.
You should at least quote some relevant sections.
Good point. I added two quotes to my original post.
It is interesting info. I'd say you should also post links to the artist's portfolios, if not the images themselves, to help with that exposure. I don't have a great eye for art or anything but their stuff is great.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I love Kamjar Fadai's work. I'm a total sucker for some samurai art though.

Also, I checked out the ConceptArt.org forums and all the artists reply by PM's. Most of the threads have no replies; the OP is one of the few that actually followed up with a post saying how successful it was.

[Edited by - lmelior on June 23, 2009 12:47:02 PM]
I thought it was somewhat useful, but you probably should have put it in the "Announcements" forum, because that's the designated place for shameless self-promotion ;)

You might want to put more info/clarifications, though. The blog is called "how I got art for my game", but all you really mention is the cover image. Did you have them do the cover image as a sample, then pay $200 for all the art in the game? Or was the $200 for the best submitted example?

[Edited by - MortusMaximus on June 23, 2009 5:16:36 PM]
Check out the first gameplay video from my javascript/PHP RTS game
With appreciation for the comments about self-promotion, I found this post very interesting.

The whole business of indie game developers connecting with freelance artists was quite a struggle to figure out when I was getting into it (and perhaps still is, in many respects), so it's good to see someone be so open about the entire process, with numbers and all. And as an artist, it's fascinating to read a detailed write-up of the process from the perspective of a client.

I've subscribed to your feed and look forward to the second part of this post.
Thanks, that was the main reason I wrote the piece. There's lots of posts out there advising the two sides to work together, to network via forums and such, but I found very few that mentioned actual numbers I could use as a point of reference.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement