Sign in to follow this  
Interoban g

Glow and RenderTargets

Ok, so I am trying to create a Glow effect using Post Processing. I want it to be on individual objects, so I need to create some sort of indentifier, so that the post porcessing knows which part of the object to blur. The most common solution it appears is to have a signature number in the alpha channel that can be checked, however using RenderTargets to get to my Post Processing, I cannot seem to get it to keep track of the alpha information. Is it something I'm missing with Render Targets, as it seems many others have gotten a glow effect this way.

You're probably doing alpha blending/testing with the fixed-function pipeline.

Since you're using MRT anyway, have you considered writing a 'bloom scale' value into a channel of another render target? Or was that what you were trying to do with the alpha channel anyway?

Not so much a bloom scale, if you mean amount to bloom each pixel, but more of a mask.

I'm trying to see if I can avoid multiple full renders by saving that mask, I tried the Stencil buffer as well but whenever I turned off stencilling during Post Processing the Pixel Shader would start returning garbage texture parts.

Quote:
Original post by Interoban g
The most common solution it appears is to have a signature number in the alpha channel that can be checked, however using RenderTargets to get to my Post Processing, I cannot seem to get it to keep track of the alpha information.

What do you mean by this? Unless you have alpha blending enabled, a render target's alpha channel will get whatever value you output from your pixel shader. Then that value will be there when you sample it later in your post-processing pass.