Sign in to follow this  
Twinblad3r

Developing Directx 10 Games on XP

Twinblad3r    122
Has anyone tried the hacks that allows dx 10 programs to run on XP? Does this also means that programming dx 10 on xp will be possible though might not get the full performance or risk getting problems?

NewBreed    263
Quote:

Has anyone tried the hacks that allows dx 10 programs to run on XP?

I'm not anybody special enough to fully answer your question but as nobody else has come in, I'll throw 2p in. AFAIK the only things I heard about when hearing XP and DirectX 10 in the same sentence was "No" and something called the "AlkyProject", I don't know how it works or anything but I know development on it has come to a grinding halt. Also, since they're nothing more than a few hacks you can guarantee they're unstable and certainly won't have Microsofts backing or support.

Quote:

Does this also means that programming dx 10 on xp will be possible though might not get the full performance or risk getting problems?

No, not really, I may be wrong here but AFAIK the reason DirectX 10 never appeared on XP through Microsoft was because XP uses a completely different driver model which is needed to run DirectX 10.

HTH,
NB.

Edit: BTW, you'd probably get a couple more responses if this was in the DX forum, see if a mod can move it for you.

Promit    13246
The AlkyProject was basically a scam, a bunch of half baked code cooked up by some idiot to gain a lot of publicity. There's nothing resembling competence behind it.

The answer to your question is that it won't work. Sadly the amount of investment needed to expose DX10 or even some kind of DX 9.5 compromise wasn't worth it to Microsoft. Thankfully 10.1 and 11 introduce feature levels to rectify the other half of this, which is the hardware support limitations.

MJP    19753
The short and sweet answer is that it's not happening. The DX10 runtime and driver model required changes that go fairly deep into the OS...it's not something you can hack around.

Your best options are to either get Vista, get the Win7 RC, or get an Nvidia GPU and use OpenGL (ATI GPU's don't expose full DX10 functionality through GL).

Twinblad3r    122
Quote:
Original post by Promit
The AlkyProject was basically a scam, a bunch of half baked code cooked up by some idiot to gain a lot of publicity. There's nothing resembling competence behind it.

Woah..

Quote:
Original post by MJP
Your best options are to either get Vista, get the Win7 RC, or get an Nvidia GPU and use OpenGL (ATI GPU's don't expose full DX10 functionality through GL).

I got a Vista laptop which overheated 3 times... heard lots of problems with nvidia drivers and Vista

Thanks for the info, gamedev roxs ;)

AverageJoeSSU    564
Quote:
Original post by Twinblad3r

I got a Vista laptop which overheated 3 times... heard lots of problems with nvidia drivers and Vista

Thanks for the info, gamedev roxs ;)

I have a 8800gts and a Lenovo w/ Quadro 2700m that have been running vista for over a year, and the drivers are totally fine.

the laptop overheating isn't necessarily vista's fault.

The OpenGL support is actually pretty cool... The Nvidia Cg toolkit is a great example of what he described.

Quote:
Original post by Promit
The answer to your question is that it won't work. Sadly the amount of investment needed to expose DX10 or even some kind of DX 9.5 compromise wasn't worth it to Microsoft. Thankfully 10.1 and 11 introduce feature levels to rectify the other half of this, which is the hardware support limitations.

The main problem with DirectX 10 is that it is Vista-only and many people didn't want to switch to Vista.

I should be complaining as well that my hardware isn't supported by Direct3D 10 either, but I guess that's my fault. I should be moving to x64 and get 3GB more of RAM at least, in fact >_>' And a new hard disk to expand what I have now. 160GB eventually will be like 160MB =P But that's going off-topic.

Sc4Freak    643
XP is already long obsolete - close to 2 full releases old now. By the time WINE gets around to making something that might work, XP will be long forgotten.

It'd be like porting DX9 to Windows 95 today - I'm sure you somehow could, but why?