Sign in to follow this  
dlangdev

Setup And Deploy

Just wondering what your thoughts are regarding setup-and-deploy. I tried mine, did a setup and deploy project on a Visual Studio 2005 XP OS and the results were: 1) The msi package installed and the test game program ran OK on the XP test machine. 2) The msi installed but the test game program did not run on a Vista 64 machine. What would I need to do to have only one setup/install package for XP/Vista + 32/64 config? Also, are there any other install packages out there that I could use?

Quote:
Original post by dlangdev
Just wondering what your thoughts are regarding setup-and-deploy.

I tried mine, did a setup and deploy project on a Visual Studio 2005 XP OS and the results were:

1) The msi package installed and the test game program ran OK on the XP test machine.

2) The msi installed but the test game program did not run on a Vista 64 machine.

What would I need to do to have only one setup/install package for XP/Vista + 32/64 config?

Also, are there any other install packages out there that I could use?

The problem is not with the MSI installation format, but with your application. MSI is universal as each OS has its own version of Windows Installer.

Turns out I needed to patch my Visual Studio 2005 with the Vista patch. Downloaded the patch from Microsoft and re-ran the setup/msi package.

Works OK now, though I still need to test it on clean XP/Vista machines as I only made tests on developer patched machines.