Sign in to follow this  
SearchDream

In Game Advertisement

Hi All: I am very interesting in In Game Advertisement, it is very cool technology. So far I know we can inject our own code to a game, and get the render API by hooking. But how can we detect specific object in a game(like a character etc), and replace it with our own texture? Any suggestion are appreciate :)

in-game advertising is handled by various 3rd party advertisers. and with agreement with game developers to allow them to substitute ingame content.

the end result is that you, some random person, are unable to implement your own "in game advertising" without the support of game developers. trying to do so by hooking into the render API would be, unadvisable, possibly in breach of the EULA, and most likely unworkable.

you wont be able to do what i think you want to do without co-operation with developers.

Quote:
Original post by Matt_D
the end result is that you, some random person, are unable to implement your own "in game advertising" without the support of game developers. trying to do so by hooking into the render API would be, unadvisable, possibly in breach of the EULA, and most likely unworkable.

As a little bonus, it would probably open you up to legal prosecution under German "hacking" laws :-)

not to mention that, if someone decided to slap some advertising on something id worked on without paying me, id be very very annoyed.

Quote:
Original post by Matt_D
in-game advertising is handled by various 3rd party advertisers. and with agreement with game developers to allow them to substitute ingame content.

you wont be able to do what i think you want to do without co-operation with developers.

Thanks for your reply, I know there must be have agreement with game developer.
I am only interested with this technology, LOL.

Advertising in games ... now I heard that one too ...
Isn't there enough advertising feces floating around in this world?!?
Start advertising in games besides a load splash and I'll go medevil on yo azz =P

Quote:
Original post by SearchDream
Hi All:
I am very interesting in In Game Advertisement, it is very cool technology.
So far I know we can inject our own code to a game, and get the render API by
hooking. But how can we detect specific object in a game(like a character etc), and replace it with our own texture?
Any suggestion are appreciate :)

To me what you're doing sounds like you don't have an agreement with the developer at all. I'm pretty positive if the developers wish to support advertising in their game, there'd be an API interface; you wouldn't be expected to go hooking their renderer replacing textures/models and the like.

Quote:
Original post by NewBreed
Quote:
Original post by SearchDream
Hi All:
I am very interesting in In Game Advertisement, it is very cool technology.
So far I know we can inject our own code to a game, and get the render API by
hooking. But how can we detect specific object in a game(like a character etc), and replace it with our own texture?
Any suggestion are appreciate :)

To me what you're doing sounds like you don't have an agreement with the developer at all. I'm pretty positive if the developers wish to support advertising in their game, there'd be an API interface; you wouldn't be expected to go hooking their renderer replacing textures/models and the like.

Maybe I need to clarify something :), The reason I said using hook to get the render API and replace the texture is: I saw there are some IGA companies in China announce that there IGA system do not need change anything in the original developed games, just distribute their IGA system with the game will be OK.
their system are for MMO games(Which is popular than other kinds games). So I think their system should use hooking technology. but I have no idea about how they implement the texture replace.

see the following links if you have interest:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjE1MzE5MjQ=.html