what editors do i need to make a rts game?

Started by
4 comments, last by lostzac 14 years, 9 months ago
hello, i am wondering what editors are need for making a rts game like is a campaign editor needed? and a map editor? anything you suggest to use please make sure it is not a free software. unless big company's use a specific free software. Could you name what kind of editors i need to program a rts, just to let you know i have a team of people and this is a business effort not a 1 person thing. We need editors that are good and you have to buy. So if you could name some editors a big company's would use or popular paid editor software. That you Steven
Advertisement
Big companies make their own.

theTroll
Quote:anything you suggest to use please make sure it is not a free software. unless big company's use a specific free software

As long as it does what you need it to do, what does it matter if its free or not?

Quote:Could you name what kind of editors i need to program a rts

You'd usually use a programming language (C/C++, C#, Python) or a pre-built Engine (Spring, Stratagus, Torque) to program an RTS.
Quote:hello, i am wondering what editors are need for making a rts game like is a campaign editor needed? and a map editor? anything you suggest to use please make sure it is not a free software. unless big company's use a specific free software. Could you name what kind of editors i need to program a rts, just to let you know i have a team of people and this is a business effort not a 1 person thing. We need editors that are good and you have to buy. So if you could name some editors a big company's would use or popular paid editor software.
You say you have a team; is there no one on your team who can answer these sorts of question?

Also, that 'the software must not be free' is a somewhat odd requirement. Can you explain why free software is not an option for your team?
Quote:Big companies make their own.

Indeed. You'll probably have to do the same, because there is no 'universal RTS file format'. Every RTS game has different units, game rules etc.

You can make an in-game or a stand-alone editor. Perhaps it's easier to make an in-game editor for a RTS game (every RTS game I've ever played has one in-game). This makes it easier for your players to make their own scenarios, which is important for a RTS game in my opininon. Besides, a RTS game probably needs a more advanced UI than for example, a FPS anyway, and if you don't have too much units all you need for an editor are some buttons and check boxes.
Depends on a lot of things as everyone has said...there are lots of cheap engines out there if you do not have skill in programming...

Are you looking at 2d or 3d for your graphic content ? How in depth are you planning this, a simple unit vrs unit shot em up or are you looking at resource management

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement