Level creator and GUI library for C++

Started by
1 comment, last by Waterwalker 14 years, 10 months ago
Hi, everyone. I've been programming some easy things with C++/SDL, and I'm ready to move into something bigger. Particularly, I intend to program a tile-based level creator. I've been reading a few posts on the topic here and there, but I still need some help deciding on how to do things, so here I am. What I want to do is something with a scrollable view on the left (so I can move along the map if it's bigger than NxM) and a scrollable list of tiles on the right, all ready to be dragged to the left view. I think it would be a bit difficult to make a good level creator using only SDL (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'll probably use a GUI library for that. So far, the most appealing one to me is Qt, but I've also heard good things about GTK+ and wxWidgets. My main concerns in choosing libraries are portability and free use, but since this is my first experience with GUIs under C++ (I've done my share of Java/Swing, nonetheless), I'm also looking for something easy to learn. Pros and cons, anyone? Also, since I'll be mainly playing with images, it would be great if the GUI library would have some way to take cropped portions of an image file. If this is not possible (which seems logical to me), is there an easy way to mix SDL and whatever GUI library you guys suggest to do what I intend?
Advertisement
I don't know Qt or GTK+, but wxWidgets. I'm quite happy with it, it seems to be free, cross plattform,supports bitmap buttons and had some nice gui designers.

--
Ashaman
Qt is great and besides having quite comprehensive image functions (which should include cropping) it also offers direct OpenGL support. Check out its full reference here e.g. looking at the qimage and qpixmap classes:

Qt latest version reference
------------------------------------I always enjoy being rated up by you ...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement