Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HIND-D

Is this a dead forum?

dead or not, don't put it in the deadbook. Someday, someone's going to want info on AI and it won't be here. Like me.
Just that AI's one of the last things that people think about...

A lot of more technical forums need specific topics of interest to come alive, then they lay dormant until the next topic comes. That seems to be the way this forum is going as most people settle with really simple AI tricks (or havent even gotten there yet).

It will be here when needed though.

Of note, the forum doesnt have a moderator, and often that makes a big difference. Someone who can throw out ideas for discussion and answer any questions quickly is a big help for keeping a forum active.

-Geoff

Moderators are appointed by us. I've been trying to find a moderator for this forum. Because I knew that it would likely be less active than the others, I've wanted to find someone who is high profile in the game AI community to help spark discussion. The people I have contacted so far haven't been able to commit, so the search continues. If anyone has any recommendations, or if you feel you fit the profile, let me know.

- Dave

What about the guy from Game AI? Steve, I think. I bet you've already contacted him though.

Ack! I'm an initiate! I was like the 30th person who registered for the forum. Hehe.. I know, I know.. Its based on number of posts.

-Chlorine

[This message has been edited by Chlorine (edited December 18, 1999).]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Even if this forum might have its let's say quiter times, I believe its realy useful because AI is an important factor for the quality of a game (rpg, tactical, shooter) and it is not easy to build a good AI because human beings (which I supose all of us are) tend not to think about everything and the ideas and propositions provided by a forum like this can help a lot to make some specific games better w/out too much work for anybody!

The idea of a moderator seems to be good!
Jut go on searching 'till you find one!

The fact is, "Is this a dead forum" is an easy question to answer, it takes no brain time, so people are quite happy to throw in their $0.02.
If someone was to ask "What is intelligence" or "Is the brain a universal computer", then that might, just possibly, not be quite so easy to answer hence a lack of response.
Or was that not obvious.

People just like to talk.
Quite often, people do _not_ like to think.

Yours cynically

Mike