Game development career advice

Started by
5 comments, last by CrunchyKetchup 14 years, 8 months ago
I am a disheartened games dev student. In my naive youth, I chose my course because I believed it would help me get into the games industry. Unfortunately, much of what I now know is self-taught and it has been apparent for some time that games dev courses in the UK are not looked highly upon. While I’m confident I will graduate with a 1st and, through my own learning, the required knowledge for the industry, I’m worried about my future job prospects. I feel the degree will be the weakest part of my CV. I have been considering trying for a software engineering masters at a top university, but I’m not sure this will redeem my qualifications or simply look like I am trying to cover the cracks. I would be most grateful if some of you could offer advice on my situation Thanks, cKetchup
Advertisement
It's a terrible shame that people are going on game degree courses and only realising after they are in debt of have wasted a couple of years that on something that isn't going to give them what they need or expected.

Not all games degree courses are a waste of time, some of them are very good but obviously you haven't mentioned which institution you have got your qualifications from so I can't say anything on that.

As for what you do next, that depends what you want to do, and where you are in your life. A master's degree can help you get your CV to the top of the pile as having a sought after speciality can help, but while some courses do require a University degree to even look at your application, not all do, and often they will look at experience or a fantastic demo portfolio in the same light as a University degree (the most sensible companies will look at both in the same light).

So do you have a good portfolio (from the sounds of it most likely done in your own time) because it might be worth going for it on that alongside your qualification. If you don't I would consider other options.

You could also consider QA, it is a very valid way into the industry, and I know quite a few programmers, designers and artists who started life in QA (and it was a damn shame when they left, but good for them!). Having an understanding of how other disciplines work and the problems they face can make you a very effective and in demand tester.

If your course has been a waste of time (and nothing is really a complete waste of time) don't let it drag you down. Look forward, consider what you have got, and have a look at your options, because there are always options.

Good Luck :)
While it's true quite a few of us look down on game courses (especially those of us that went through them) it won't rule you out of any game job position. Getting a 1st is more than enough to get your cv looked at and once you tick the box of "having a uni degree" your personal demo and portfolio become far more important so don't worry about it.

In the 3 years I've been working after graduating my present company has hired around 15 graduates form various courses even after rejecting many many many game course graduates as uterrly unsuitable.

Oh and for the record, Abertay are quite poor no matter what accreditation they managed to get (I graduated from there) though the Hull and Derby courses seem fine.

If you are really worried you can always do a comp sci masters after your Bsc and put that on your cv instead.
Quote: Original post by ketch
I would be most grateful if some of you could offer advice on my situation

Stop guessing, and start interviewing. Then either you'll have a better idea of what you need to get a job, or you'll have a job.

Well, if this is of any motivation: I scored my first game programming internship (and subsequent job) halfway through my humanities degree.

Just show them you know you're stuff. Everything else is secondary.
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
I pretty much went through the same problem as you except I didn't do stuff in my own time as I thought the degree would be enough.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

All,

This is a little late, but thank you all very much for having taken the time to offer your advice. I can now see my situation is not as bleak as I thought it might have been, and that I do have an range of options going forward.

Thanks once again,
cKetchup

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement