Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Multiplayer data compression

This topic is 6685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

We use compression for server-to-client packets in Artifact. We use the zlib compression algorithm and see roughly 40%-60% packet compression.

We delayed trying compression because we figured the overhead of compressing/decompressing would be prohibitive. When we finally gave it a try, though, it was a huge success. Bandwidth used dropped significantly, and the game seemed much more "snappy" than before.

The time required to compress/decompress the data is significantly less than the time saved by sending less information.

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games
http://www.samugames.com

As I was pondering the complexities of network latency (and why it always takes so long to download BSP maps in TFC ) the thought occurred to me that some sort of data compression might improve connection speed. Picture this: all the packets you send would be compressed (maybe with pkzip?) and then upon recieving a packet the client would decompress it. Now, i'm guessing that this would create a significant performance hit, but, I don't think it would be an issue on high end systems, like my own. Of course, multiplayer data compression could already be common place and i'm just wasting my time. Just a thought...

-Chlorine

Just for the record, Qizmo, the QW proxy also uses a GZ compression. The in game dosent change much, xept you can pull your rate up (amout of packets in a minute) becose your bandwith IS freed up. U can share a ISDN line with two players easy. It is a prety cool thing, wonder if they'll one day put hardwarecompression in lan card (they alllready are in modems)