I'm learning C++, but what sdk should I get?

Started by
12 comments, last by Zakwayda 14 years, 9 months ago
I want to learn to make 2d games, should I get DirectX? If so what version?
Advertisement
When you're ready to start making a game, I'd recommend using SDL; it's an easy to use library that works on multiple platforms.
I recommend SFML.
My vote goes to Allegro.

Its the easiest to get started with in my opinion.
And if you need help, give me a shout. I'll be happy to help. :)
[size=2]Bang Bang Attack Studios
Senior Technical Director
Professional Typographer / Letterer Comic Art Commissions Profile
I recommend SDL because it is easy. I have not tried SFML or Allegro but they might be greate too.
If we're all voting, I'll vote for SDL. Just because I haven't tried the others, but SDL is pretty easy to pick up.
I would vote for SDL because it is mature and there are many articles and tutorials available online. It also has bindings to many languages, so you aren't stuck using C or C++.

That said, SFML seems to be coming along nicely. If you are using C++ it might be a good choice.
Go with SDL but be aware that its transparency is slow.
I've started learning C++ as well and chose SFML. It's a breeze to setup and is a higher level than SDL so less fooling around with basic things. That being said the documentation is a bit sparse so if you're totally new to C style languages it may be a bit uphill at the start. Worth a try though, I'm very pleased with it.
DirectX isn't really something you'd use for 2D.
I recommend SDL or Allegro over SFML.
SFML, SDL, and Allegro are all easy to use, and work on multiple platforms.
A new version of Allegro (5) should be out soon, might want to look at that.
I'm not sure about SDL 1.3 or 2.0, or w/e it is going to be soon.
And SFML is slowing reaching 2.0.
SFML is more object-oriented, being written in C++, while Allegro and SDL are written in C, but still work in C++.
Last thing, I think SFML quite a bit faster than SDL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement