How do Flash and JavaApps work?

Started by
5 comments, last by PureBlackSin 14 years, 9 months ago
I am curious to get into tool development, and am intrigued by how Flash and JavaApps work. How do these tools allow you to use 3D hardware accelerated graphics in just a web browser? Where can I learn more about how Flash, JavaApps and similar tools are developed? (I can't find anything on google) Is it similar to an exe, where there is just some format that these APIs must be compiled down into? Does OpenGL ES have anything to do with these tools for 3D web development? Thanks for any help, I hope this is a good question. I will continue searching google, but I welcome any links(This stuff is hard to find).
I ask for help and you give me a book? I hate book. Book is stupid.Also known as Yellow at the Dark Basic forums.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Basic
I am curious to get into tool development, and am intrigued by how Flash and JavaApps work.

How do these tools allow you to use 3D hardware accelerated graphics in just a web browser?

Where can I learn more about how Flash, JavaApps and similar tools are developed? (I can't find anything on google)

Is it similar to an exe, where there is just some format that these APIs must be compiled down into?

Does OpenGL ES have anything to do with these tools for 3D web development?

Thanks for any help, I hope this is a good question. I will continue searching google, but I welcome any links(This stuff is hard to find).

Take a look at:
ActiveX
and
Firefox Plugins
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Okay, so if I understand correctly ActiveX is a control that can be loaded by a browser. The ActiveX control itself can then make calls to APIs such as OpenGL and DirectX?

So I also briefly also looked into the Gecko API. If I am correct, Gecko is a crossbrowser(thus crossplatform) control that can be used to render OpenGL and DirectX?

So is this how Adobe made Flash and JavaApps work? They have used either ActiveX, Gecko(or Shockwave even?) as a control that can be rendered in a browser, and then wrote the rest in OpenGL/DirectX for hardware acceleration?
I ask for help and you give me a book? I hate book. Book is stupid.Also known as Yellow at the Dark Basic forums.
Basically the code that does the back end lifting is already installed on your computer. Then you have a browser "control" that can properly connect to that back end and also downloads the front end.
Interesting, so basically ActiveX and firefox plugins are just making calls to whatever API, and then rendering them into some canvas on the browser.

Or in the case of Java Apps, the applet is making a call to the java runtime and then that does the work from there.
Sorry to double post, but I think this is what I am interested in.

http://arstechnica.com/software/news/2009/04/google-releases-3d-graphics-plugin-for-browsers.ars

Want to be dead cheeky and avoid the need to learn more languages?

Well it's dead easy, build a file as an .exe do this in c++ or whatever, so long as it produces a .exe file.

Anything from openGL and directx and windows can be run, not command line stuff though.

Then use OSAKIT, it's a plugin for browsers that allows you to run a window that is embedded into a browser.

You build the .exe, place all the files needed (.dlls models, textures) and zip them up. Run them through the package maker and upload them to your website.

Grab the website generator tool that comes with it and your game is ready to be run in the browser!

All the user needs to do is download the 300kb player and not be using the Chrome web browser and it runs perfectly.

See my website for an example, but atmo all the examples require Nvidia PhysX, so grab that and then have a look.

Wow, i bet that will reduce your work load, whole process takes >5 to create the package and >5 mins to install the player.

See my website below for an example. To get the kit google OSAKIT.

PureBlackSin (website in signature!)
For Games, Articles and Custom High End Computers, come visit.Myndoko

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement