Kindle any good for studying?

Started by
3 comments, last by jpetrie 14 years, 9 months ago
I'm learning C++ as a hobby, and I don't have lot of freetime to sit at the pc... so I'm wondering if Kindle + ebooks would be a good resource? In other words.. is it worth the $300 bucks ? :P
Advertisement
No, not at all. Just reading books is not enough. You need to be able to try the concepts that they describe. You can't do that on a Kindle.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

The kindle is nothing more than a special kind of "paper" that has the unique quality that it can change what it displays by way of a clunky and irritatingly slow interface. It does not confer its wielder with any sort of enhanced learning abilities or mental faculty.

You might consider a Kindle if:
* You find yourself having to carry a large number of heavy books on a regular basis.
* You subscribe to a bunch of newspapers.
* You find that being able to look up a word in the dictionary very quickly a necessity.

Other than that, it's not all that special.
.:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.
A netbook might actually make more sense for you, not a lot more money than a Kindle for a decent one, and you get a lot more flexibility with it. Plus you can try out aspects that you are reading about. Not as great of battery life, and less handy for just reading, but the concept is good. I'll likely pick up one after another generation or two of digital paper devices.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
I really like my (first generation) Kindle. But while it's great for reading "regular" books, it's terrible for reading any kind of technical book that has either diagrams or source code listings. Either the quality of the screen or the quality of the transfer to digital form makes for fuzzy or hard-to-read code listings and diagrams. It's also also annoying to scroll past large code listings.

The newer models are a little better I hear, but I haven't tried them out. In any case, I also agree with the rest of the advice in this thread... so no, I wouldn't get a Kindle for this.

Quote:
* You find that being able to look up a word in the dictionary very quickly a necessity.

Offtopic, but "very quickly" is a pretty favorable description... I've found it irritatingly slow the one or two times I tried to use it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement