What age will we have lived in?

Started by
41 comments, last by Kirl 14 years, 9 months ago
Yeah I've read about the technological singularity. I reckon it's fascinating.. I want!
--------------------------Check out my free, top-down multiplayer shooter: Subvein
Advertisement

[Edited by - Awoken on September 15, 2009 7:01:38 PM]
The age of globalization. The one defining attribute of these years is that the world has become much smaller. Information from all over the world has become available when we turn on our television screens or at the click of the computer mouse. Because the world has become smaller our technology cycles have become shorter. Because the world has become smaller there's a growing consciousness - and people care more - about world problems we would otherwise not have known about. Because the world has become smaller we have become more focused on making our tiny part of the world more rich than is possible. For ourselves we strive to compete with global examples of major successes in financial richness, comfort and emotional richness. We try to make ourselves stand out more in a world we can not possibly compete with.

It's the change from a village mentality, where everyone knows everyone but nothing from what's outside the walls, to a global mentality, where everyone knows (or can know) everything in the world but doesn't take time to learn about their neighbors and falls back on an impossible self-improvement mission that is the defining change of this time.
Quote:Original post by bencelot

If that's not to happen though, when will the exponential trend stop?

When we run out of oil.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Quote:Original post by WanMaster
What do you think will define us for future generation?

I'm afraid it'll be
">this.

Ha!
My guess would be "Silicon Age", with "Information Age" and "Nuclear Age" as next in line. Space & nuclear advances are pretty big events, but they're also relatively low-impact on the general day-to-day affairs of most people. In contrast the advent of the silicon chip and all the devices that follow on from that have radically changed the way we live and communicate.

Alternatively, if you're talking about after The Event, it'll probably be called the Golden Age. >_<
Or maybe they will refer to this time as the Binary Age for by that time, they would have surely learned how to make computers count base 10 like humans do.
Quote:Original post by WanMaster

I'm afraid it'll be
">this.I'm afraid it will actually be
" title="ROFLCOPTER!!!!11!!1!1ONE">this. [sad]
Wouldn't surprise me if we are labeled as being the "iAge".
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
In 10000 years time how will they refer to the last 100 years? The information age? The space age?

Maybe the age of war. Having 2 major world wars in the same century might be unheard of in the future.

The age of stupidity.. perhaps because we let global warming come so close to wiping us all out.

the concept of global warming wiping us out is laughable.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement