A naive economic, recession fixing question

Started by
262 comments, last by HostileExpanse 14 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by HostileExpanse
I'm still curious about possible responses to the questions I asked about Austrians. Perhaps that Maelstrom guy will take a turn at responding...

I've missed out on a bit, are you refering to;

Quote:Feel free to post an example of a useful [predictive and real-world applicable] Austrian "theorem" that is wholly derived solely from postulates such as, "humans act"

If so, I believe I can answer the issue with an example or two, although in truth you would have to tackle a ton of back theory to have a workable knowledge to judge for yourself.

And while you've shown a dedication to the topic you've not convinced me you're actually open to discourse. I believe you're more interested in shouting down those that disagree with you because you believe your grasp of the subject, and indeed "how things are" is unassailable. I was a teenager once as well.

But back on topic, if the quoted statement is where you want to take this let me know and i'll likely waste a bit of time defending that position.
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Dreddnafious Maelstrom
Quote:Original post by HostileExpanse
I'm still curious about possible responses to the questions I asked about Austrians. Perhaps that Maelstrom guy will take a turn at responding...

I've missed out on a bit, are you refering to;

Quote:Feel free to post an example of a useful [predictive and real-world applicable] Austrian "theorem" that is wholly derived solely from postulates such as, "humans act"

If so, I believe I can answer the issue with an example or two, although in truth you would have to tackle a ton of back theory to have a workable knowledge to judge for yourself.

The "back theory" should already be tackled for all to see, if you were to follow through on this request.

And while you've shown a dedication to the topic you've not convinced me you're actually open to discourse. I believe you're more interested in shouting down those that disagree with you because you believe your grasp of the subject, and indeed "how things are" is unassailable. I was a teenager once as well.

Subtle insults of naivete. Fun, fun, fun :rolleyes:

Even more amusing considering only one of us embraces a pseudo-science. Might as well tell me what a fool I am for disregarding the power of the Tarot!

But back on topic, if the quoted statement is where you want to take this let me know and i'll likely waste a bit of time defending that position.

If you plan on posting all of the deduction involved with some theorem developed all the way from the premise that "humans act," that'd be interesting. However, feel free to start off by simply posting the deductive steps [from "humans act"] which form the very basic foundation for your chosen theorem. You can later expand from there.

[Edited by - HostileExpanse on July 28, 2009 2:57:00 PM]
Very smart economy theories -it's very good,but I'm afraid that one day the people's patience will run out,and then...Anyway,this
">song now not seems me so strange like one year ago.
I happened to stumble across the videos I alluded to some time ago. So as not to leave this unfinished, I listed some resources to those of who may read this later.

Education in Scandinavia.
Quote:We travelled to Sweden to find out more about how their adoption of independent schools within the state school system has apparently encouraged parental choice and increased competition across the board, as well as exploring how Swedish style approaches are already been applied here in the Britain

Finland.
Quote:The Finns' excellence in education is inspiring. A British teacher visits to learn from their experience, and sees learning by doing, smaller classes and mutual respect making a huge impact.

Here's another one.
Quote:The quality, authority and credibility of the resource
The great strength of the video clip is its honesty. This is a real class with un-primed children. Johanna runs into real problems of communication, over-high expectations, cultural difference and behaviour. She shows her exasperation and disappointment in ways that will be familiar to many ITE students and teachers and has a very authentic, heated, conversation with the English class teacher at the end of a particularly challenging session. ITE students will relate to the difficulties she has and the lessons she plans and delivers.

And so on...

Quote:Original post by Naurava kulkuri
Concerning the last one, 35 pupilis in a class was way too much and evidently it caused problems to learning: poor results and disrupting behaviour. All the reserchers seem to agree with this notion. Related to this, there was a delegation of teachers from the UK (I believe they made a documentary of it and was aired in some BBC Teacher's Channel or something over there) not too long ago that were seeing how we are teaching and teaching themselves in Finnish class rooms too.

[Edited by - Naurava kulkuri on August 10, 2009 1:17:57 PM]
---Sudet ulvovat - karavaani kulkee
FairTax.

Everyone has more disposable income, including the government. Cut out the lobbyist bullshit which Washington has plenty of. Encourage people to earn more. Cuts down interest rates on loans and makes our nation the most popular place for investors to furnish their money in. Encourage people to be more thoughtful about their spending. Did I mention that at the end of the day everyone has more money?
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
The fairtax is another gimmick to fool people into going along with massive tax cuts for the super wealthy. You want a fair tax system? Jack up the top rates to the 70% rate they were back in the 1960's. Then pay down the national debt. Once the debt is paid down, bring the top rates down to 50%. Do you want to know why that's fair? It's fair because the wealthiest make their money off the backs of everyone else. When the wealthiest get tax cuts, they don't invest that money into productive endeavors, they use it to gamble in the stock market. Tax cuts free them up to take unreasonable risks. Easy come, easy go. Tax hikes on the other hand force them to behave as sober investors. The fair tax raises rates on the poorest of the poor while massively cutting rates for the richest of the rich. It's a total sham pushed by charlatans.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by dbzprogrammer
FairTax.

Everyone has more disposable income, including the government. Cut out the lobbyist bullshit which Washington has plenty of. Encourage people to earn more. Cuts down interest rates on loans and makes our nation the most popular place for investors to furnish their money in. Encourage people to be more thoughtful about their spending. Did I mention that at the end of the day everyone has more money?

Everybody except the middle-class.

People making 15,000 to 200,000 end up having their costs (in green) jacked up.

Americans for Fair Taxation chief expert acknowledges shift in tax burden to "probably those earning between $40[thousand] and $100,000"

[Edited by - HostileExpanse on August 10, 2009 11:54:49 PM]
Quote:Original post by LessBread
The fairtax is another gimmick to fool people into going along with massive tax cuts for the super wealthy. You want a fair tax system? Jack up the top rates to the 70% rate they were back in the 1960's. Then pay down the national debt. Once the debt is paid down, bring the top rates down to 50%. Do you want to know why that's fair? It's fair because the wealthiest make their money off the backs of everyone else. When the wealthiest get tax cuts, they don't invest that money into productive endeavors, they use it to gamble in the stock market. Tax cuts free them up to take unreasonable risks. Easy come, easy go. Tax hikes on the other hand force them to behave as sober investors. The fair tax raises rates on the poorest of the poor while massively cutting rates for the richest of the rich. It's a total sham pushed by charlatans.

Except for the fact that basic needs are non-taxable. Do you have statistics to back your claim that the wealthy just play in the stock market? Are you aware that they are inclined to play in the stock market because of a lower rate of taxation? Perhaps if the cost of investing in productive endeavors went down, which is what the FairTax would do, they would be more inclined to do so? Let's not forget the mass amounts of foreign investment that would be attracted to the country. Would you be happy paying 1% less on your mortgage?

HostileExpanse, could I see the source that came from? There are many factors that change in the system, and I'm curious to see which ones they considered.
Do you have statistics to back your claim that the wealthy just play in the stock market? Are you aware that they are inclined to play in the stock market because of a lower rate of taxation? Perhaps if the cost of investing in productive endeavors went down, which is what the FairTax...
To me it looks contradictory to ask for statistics to back-up a claim, but then to go on by yourself to give an opinion piece why it is so – that is if you are opposing and consequently asking for statistics. Anyway, Krugman wrote related to playing in stock-markets in his article Rewarding Bad Actors. I have a strong feeling that investments to high-performance computing have soared during these past few years. Not least because those were the assets that were instantly sold from bankrupt companies to other financial institutions.
---Sudet ulvovat - karavaani kulkee
Quote:Original post by Naurava kulkuri
Do you have statistics to back your claim that the wealthy just play in the stock market? Are you aware that they are inclined to play in the stock market because of a lower rate of taxation? Perhaps if the cost of investing in productive endeavors went down, which is what the FairTax...
To me it looks contradictory to ask for statistics to back-up a claim, but then to go on by yourself to give an opinion piece why it is so – that is if you are opposing and consequently asking for statistics. Anyway, Krugman wrote related to playing in stock-markets in his article Rewarding Bad Actors. I have a strong feeling that investments to high-performance computing have soared during these past few years. Not least because those were the assets that were instantly sold from bankrupt companies to other financial institutions.

Thanks for the link. Yea, I asked those questions in a weird way. I actually don't disagree with him on the point that wealthy people tend to play in the stock market, but I personally haven't seen any statistics for what he argued. I'm genuinely curious about it. Guess it's not good to ask that in the middle of a claim. =\

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement