Sign in to follow this  
zand3r

3D Engine choice?

Hi All, I'm new to GD.net. Been trying to find out which 3D Engine is better. I use C++,C#,Java and Perl alot. More fluent in C++ and C#. The two engines im looking @ purchasing, but cannot make up my mind on are 1. The torque game engine advanced www.garagegames.com 2. Visual3D www.visual3d.net One con of Visual3D is it's Windows only. But most of the people in my country are Windows based, so its not a serious issue. Please can you assist me with choosing an engine. At the moment I am using Panda3D which is a great engine, but I am not extremely fluent in python. Thanks In advance.

Yes, i know you can use panda with cpp. One of the other reasons of moving to either torque or visual3d is it has audio and networking support builtin. I don't want to have to write a whole networking system from scratch. I could use a free networking library, but it seems better to use a system that already includes networking.

You could check out these engines:
3D Gamestudio - Windows only, a bit old but excellent for beginning and easy to learn, it also has a free version called Lite-c, but the free version lacks networking.
Irrlicht - open-source. From the popular open-source engines Irrlicht is from easier ones to learn, if it is compared to OGRE3D which is a graphical engine. No networking libraries. C++.
I don't know exactly but there is an engine called kjAPI. Also free and I think it has networking libraries. But I'm not sure, I saw it a long time ago.
And here you can find networking libraries and other free stuff:
http://www.twilightsembrace.com/personal/gamelibs.php

Quote:
Original post by zand3r
Yes, i know you can use panda with cpp. One of the other reasons of moving to either torque or visual3d is it has audio and networking support builtin. I don't want to have to write a whole networking system from scratch. I could use a free networking library, but it seems better to use a system that already includes networking.
Do you also know that panda3d has very capable audio and networking support? The networking facilities aren't as well documented as they might be, but there is some information around the forums.

I wasn't aware that panda had a networking system. :(
Referring to the above post, Panda3D documentation is pathetic. But the 3D Engine itself is decent. I have been looking @ those other engines because they come with a toolset.
Visual3D has intergrated worldbuilder and scripting. It also supports any .Net language.

yes i agree that panda is poorly documentated but there are a lot of forum members that can give you directions, api references, snippets, examples, ect.

So you CAN get the information.

assainator

Thanks,
Im really impressed by the quick response time on GD!
Thanks to everyone for helping out. Still haven't answered the question though. :P
But the response has been phenomenal! Thanks!

What kind of game are you writing? That might dictate which engine you pick. I would question Panda3D's performance. I've seen nothing to convince me it's fast. I do love Python though.

My company does computer repairs,website development/design, application development and now I want us to venture into Game Development. We released two small titles using Panda3D, very simple, for preschool kids. But we want to start developing more complex/in-depth games.
We have a company which wants a small Role-playing game which will allow the Children of today to learn about wht our country was like before it was colonized.
Panda3D is a good engine, but the time we would spend learning&mastering using it would not be good. Ideally I'd like a solution which allows us to quickly get a game idea running, then extend it farther by either scripting or actual code. Visual3D looks like it might fulfill these requirements, but i dont want to spend 250$ just to find out it isn't what we need. :(

Thanks guys,
Keith

Doesn't they have some kind of demo or free limited edition?
Maybe there are some introduction vids, you can look at them. Then you have some insight in the engine. The same for examples, do they have example(s)(code)

And yes, in the beginning panda3d has is difficult to master, but once you know it, it runs fine.

I thought Visual3D.net was still in alpha/beta...

TGEA is a lot better now than it was when it first came out, but it has been superceded by Torque3D. Granted, there are still lots of people using it and plenty of people willing to help you when you get stuck, unlike TorqueX 3D.

Thanks guys,
Visual3D is still beta, but is apparently pretty stable. Haven't seen any serious issues on the forums.
Torque3D looks very good, but the price is extreme. ~$900 or $250 for an indie developer.
I can afford to pay that price, but i want to know which would be a better choice.
The 3D artist in my team mainly uses maya and 3dmax. So i need to take that into account.
Thanks.
Keith

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
I have cleaned this thread of some spammy drivel and the resulting responses, for anybody wondering why their post has magically vanished into the ether.
Heh, I thought that post was funny :-)