3D Engine choice?

Started by
16 comments, last by Codeka 14 years, 9 months ago
Hi All, I'm new to GD.net. Been trying to find out which 3D Engine is better. I use C++,C#,Java and Perl alot. More fluent in C++ and C#. The two engines im looking @ purchasing, but cannot make up my mind on are 1. The torque game engine advanced www.garagegames.com 2. Visual3D www.visual3d.net One con of Visual3D is it's Windows only. But most of the people in my country are Windows based, so its not a serious issue. Please can you assist me with choosing an engine. At the moment I am using Panda3D which is a great engine, but I am not extremely fluent in python. Thanks In advance.
Advertisement
I assume you know that you can use panda3d with C++?

assainator
"What? It disintegrated. By definition, it cannot be fixed." - Gru - Dispicable me

"Dude, the world is only limited by your imagination" - Me

Yes, i know you can use panda with cpp. One of the other reasons of moving to either torque or visual3d is it has audio and networking support builtin. I don't want to have to write a whole networking system from scratch. I could use a free networking library, but it seems better to use a system that already includes networking.
You could check out these engines:
3D Gamestudio - Windows only, a bit old but excellent for beginning and easy to learn, it also has a free version called Lite-c, but the free version lacks networking.
Irrlicht - open-source. From the popular open-source engines Irrlicht is from easier ones to learn, if it is compared to OGRE3D which is a graphical engine. No networking libraries. C++.
I don't know exactly but there is an engine called kjAPI. Also free and I think it has networking libraries. But I'm not sure, I saw it a long time ago.
And here you can find networking libraries and other free stuff:
http://www.twilightsembrace.com/personal/gamelibs.php
panda3d HAS a networking system and has multiple audio library to choose from (openAL, miles audio system and fmod)

assainator
"What? It disintegrated. By definition, it cannot be fixed." - Gru - Dispicable me

Quote:Original post by zand3r
Yes, i know you can use panda with cpp. One of the other reasons of moving to either torque or visual3d is it has audio and networking support builtin. I don't want to have to write a whole networking system from scratch. I could use a free networking library, but it seems better to use a system that already includes networking.
Do you also know that panda3d has very capable audio and networking support? The networking facilities aren't as well documented as they might be, but there is some information around the forums.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I think Panda is poorly documented, so you will have to rely on the community often.
I wasn't aware that panda had a networking system. :(
Referring to the above post, Panda3D documentation is pathetic. But the 3D Engine itself is decent. I have been looking @ those other engines because they come with a toolset.
Visual3D has intergrated worldbuilder and scripting. It also supports any .Net language.
yes i agree that panda is poorly documentated but there are a lot of forum members that can give you directions, api references, snippets, examples, ect.

So you CAN get the information.

assainator

Thanks,
Im really impressed by the quick response time on GD!
Thanks to everyone for helping out. Still haven't answered the question though. :P
But the response has been phenomenal! Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement