ShaderX books

Started by
6 comments, last by adt7 14 years, 9 months ago
Does anyone here own any of the newer shaderx books? (shaderx5, shaderx6, shaderx7) Are they worth buying? Do the books cover the topics in depth or is further searching required? (points finger at "real-time rendering"...) How are they compared to GPU Gems 1-3? (I own all 3 and love them very much) And finally... according to amazon
Quote: 1USD = 3.086CAD
Advertisement
I own 2-6 and as with all these kinds of books (game programmer gems, gpu gems etc) they are usually good introductory chapters to the concepts. They go into sufficient detail for you to implement what they propose, usually, and with sufficient theory. So yes, i think alot of the time they go deep enough.

Still though, i'd see if you can find one in a library and take a look, or go on google books which i think has excerpts.
In order, I would say buy 5 - 7 - 6.

In general, a lot of the techniques are already covered online, and the paper is of course often the best reference in depth.

What did you not like about real time rendering?
I wrote one of the chapters for ShaderX6, so my answer here may be somewhat biased...

The ShaderX series is similar to GPU Gems, but the pages are all black and white (except for the color plates) which actually does make a pretty big difference. The content is quite similar, and there is very up to date research being represented in the chapters.

If you like graphics programming, then buy them - you will certainly learn something from them, and the code provided with the chapters will get you ahead in implementing some of them.
I only actually own ShaderX7, but I can tell you that it was well worth the money I spent on it.
Quote:Original post by kiwillama

And finally... according to amazon
Quote:
1USD = 3.086CAD

I wanted it, but it stopped me from buying it when I saw the $115 price tag too.

I'd buy it from amazon.com. With the taxes, shipping and custom fees can't be worst than paying 3x more for one book. I'm tempted to ask Amazon why they charge 3 times more in Canada...

I think this is really dependent on what you are doing. I have a deferred renderer and a lot of the work that the editor of the books does is related to that, so I find his books to really hit home with what my code base is doing.

I own 5 and 7, and I used the one of the chapters from 5 in my renderer, which to me right there is worth the money for 5, I looked in 6 and didnt really see a chapter that would help me out much (no offense to the dude above, i thought there were some really interesting chapters in there). 7 talks a lot about pre light pass and image based rendering concepts, which is of great interest to me, so I purchased that one too. I have yet to implement one of the chpaters however.

All in all, I would say, visit the website for each book, check out the chapters, and if you like one buy it. If this happens for all 3, well, you get the idea =)

------------------------------

redwoodpixel.com

Personally I've just ordered 5, as I keep getting recommended various articles in it.

Time will tell if it was worth the investment or not.

It was only $34 though (which isn't bad for a book of that size over here in the UK), so it's not like I'm out much if it sucks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement