State

Started by
10 comments, last by dmatter 14 years, 8 months ago
My Stage class needs to have a state, so I create the class StageState.

#ifndef STAGE_STATE_H
#define STAGE_STATE_H

class StageState
{
public:
	virtual ~StageState() = 0 {}
};

class StageRunning : public StageState
{
};

class StagePaused : public StageState
{
};

class StageCompleted : public StageState
{
};

class StageQuit : public StageState
{
};

#endif

class Stage // abstract base class
{
	StageState *_state; // on the heap

protected:

// advance frame
	static void FrameAdvance(Min::Timer &, uint delay, uint &frame, uint &nextFrame);

public:

Stage() { _state = new StageRunning; }
	virtual ~Stage() { delete _state; }

// draw contents
	virtual void Draw() = 0;

// play the game
	virtual void Play() = 0;

// handle key presses
	virtual void HandleKeys(const SDL_Event &) = 0;

// set the state
	void SetState(StageState *newState) { delete _state; _state = newState; }

// returns the state of the Stage
	StageState *State() const { return _state; }
};
Look at SetStage(). Story is a subclass of Stage. That's how SetStage is called.

void Story::HandleKeys(const SDL_Event &event)
{
	if( event.key.keysym.sym == SDLK_ESCAPE )
	{
		if( dynamic_cast<StagePaused*>(State()) ) // if the game is paused
			SetState(new StageRunning);

if( dynamic_cast<StageRunning*>(State()) )
			SetState(new StagePaused);
	}
}

It needs the new operator. Also I have to use dynamic_cast to test what actual class it is. Is this a good way? (I didn't use enumerators because it gets mixed up with other enums in the other header files and I get compiler errors.)
Advertisement
As it currently stands, your code behaves mostly like a "switch + enumeration" solution, but is much more complicated and error-prone.

Either you implement the state pattern properly by abstracting any state-dependent behavior into a virtual function (to avoid dynamic casting) and normalize your memory ownership policies appropriately with auto_ptr or shared_ptr, or you implement things using a simple enumeration, which you can define as a member of a class to avoid collisions:
class Stage{  public:    enum State { COMPLETED, PAUSED, QUIT } state;};

Used as Stage::COMPLETED (for instance).
As a general rule of thumb, if you use dynamic_cast, you haven't thought your problem through.

Two observations:

1. Your argument against using enumerations is not convincing at all. If you get name conflicts, then maybe you need to think of better names.

2. In this case, since you are using class hierarchies anyway, it would be much cleaner to use virtual functions. You could add an abstract virtual HandleKeys function to StageState, which is then implemented in the different states to perform whatever actions are appropriate in the corresponding state.

Edit: bah, ninja'd
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
I considered using the State pattern but Stage has many subclasses so I would need to make State subclasses for those too... or have a very large ugly if statement.

void StateRunning::HandleKeys(Stage *s, Event event){	if( /*s == stage1*/ )		blah blah}

I'll use the enumerator in the class.
Quote:Original post by sheep19
I'll use the enumerator enumeration in the class.

If Stage contains this function:

// set the state	virtual void SetState(StageState newState) = 0 { _state = newState; }

Will the function for the parent class be called too when it is overriden?
No, you have to explicitly call the parent function yourself, for instance:

void Child::Frobnicate() {  // Do other things before  Parent::Frobnicate();  // Do other things afterwards}

Substituting your child and parent class name where appropriate. Also, don't put that '= 0' there, it should only happen when you define pure virtual functions.
This is the Stage class now:

class Stage // abstract base class{public: 	enum StageState { RUNNING, PAUSED, COMPLETED, QUIT };protected:	StageState _state;			// advance frame	static void FrameAdvance(Min::Timer &, uint delay, uint &frame, uint &nextFrame);public:		Stage() { _state = RUNNING; }	// draw contents	virtual void Draw() = 0;		// play the game	virtual void Play() = 0;	// handle key presses	virtual void HandleKeys(const SDL_Event &) = 0;	// returns the state of the Stage	StageState State() const { return _state; }	// set the state	virtual void SetState(StageState newState) = 0;};

Definition of Story (subclass of Stage)
#include "Stage.h"using namespace Min;Story::Story() : _background(NULL), _frame(0), _nextFrame(0), _text("courier_new.ttf", 20){	try	{		_background = new Sprite(0, 0, "images/backgrounds/story_0.png");	}	catch(...)	{		log.FunctionError("Story constructor", "Memory allocation for _background failed.");	}	_text.SetColor(255, 128, 0);	_text = "Maya...An ancient civilization...";		_timer.Start(); // start the timer	_nextFrame = _timer.GetTicks();}void Story::Draw(){	_background->Blit(0, 0);	_text.Blit(100, 100);}void Story::Play(){	if( State() == RUNNING )	{		if( _frame == 0 )		{			_text = "Maya...An ancient civilization...";			FrameAdvance(_timer, 3000, _frame, _nextFrame);		}		if( _frame == 1 )		{			_text = "Maya had predicted the world's devastation in 2012 due to an astrological phenomenon...";			FrameAdvance(_timer, 5000, _frame, _nextFrame);		}		if( _frame == 2 )			_text = "There is still hope though...";	}}void Story::HandleKeys(const SDL_Event &event){	const SDLKey &key = event.key.keysym.sym;	if( key == SDLK_ESCAPE )	{		if( State() == RUNNING )			SetState(PAUSED);				if( State() == PAUSED )			SetState(RUNNING);	}	}void Story::SetState(Stage::StageState newState){	_state = newState;	if( State() == RUNNING  )		_timer.Unpause();		if( State() == PAUSED )		_timer.Pause();}I think it's much better now.
(I didn't use enumerators because it gets mixed up with other enums in the other header files and I get compiler errors.)
A simple way to get around this is to wrap each enumeration in a namespace:
namespace StageState {	enum Type {		RUNNING,		PAUSED,		COMPLETED,		QUIT	};}
You can then refer to the enumeration type as StageState::Type, and to individual enumeration values as StageState::Paused.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This is the Stage class now:
Stage::StageState is redundant. You could have named your enumeration "State" and used it as "Stage::State" when disambiguation is required.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement