• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
acerdal

game engine selection

This topic is 3380 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am new to game development. I would appreciate any feedback on selection of commercial or/not game engines that are more applicable to develping board games like chess. Same question for building sports games like football/soccer! Another related question is regarding use of AI. Do board and sports games make use of AI and are there AI engines that I should look into? Thanks for your feedback.

Advertisement
assuming you want to use 2d for the chess game: no, sorry
asuuming you want to use a 3d engine for the sports game: yes, panda3d (www.panda3d.org)
it uses panda3d to put your games together.
and it us used in 2 commercial MMO's.

for you question about AI's: it's really simple.
Every time: ask youself the question: if i where that person/player, do i need to make choises? If yes: you need an AI.
But this question is not a solid rule, but it works in most cases:
chess (should i move my pawn there, or should my queen go over there? -> choise!)
sports (should i pass the ball to the player on the right, or not ? -> choise!)

assainator

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!