3D model not showing up correctly

Started by
5 comments, last by Game_Coder2009 14 years, 9 months ago
Hello everyone! So I have a model of a Power Ranger-looking fellow with a sword in 3ds Max 2010. My first 3D model ever, congratulate me. :D However I can't use it in my game because the X-file output is broken. My code works fine because the Irrlicht model viewer also shows it broken. The problem is this; I'm using kW X-port to save the output. If I choose the 'Export Skinning' option in the kW window, then my character shows up and animates, however the texture doesn't show up correctly. The bitmap gets loaded, but my Unwrap UVW modifier doesn't work so it's all garbled. However if I don't check that option, then the UVW texture shows up fine, but I get no animation. -_- What could I be doing wrong here? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Try the Panda .X exporter, I've had some good results with it.

Of course, this isn't a 'solution', just an alternative to throw on the table.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Actually that's the first thing I tried. It shows it even more messed up and even crashes if I try to structure the animations, but that's probably because the Max 2010 version is still in beta. :/
Ahh c'mon GameDev, you've never failed me before, why start now when anxiety is eating me alive? :(
Hi

First things first, ITS NOT YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!

I have been in a similar boat to you. Nothing seems to work i know i've been there.

There are solutions most of them expensive if you want a really quick solution, e.g. Okinopolytrans and the 3ds max addon.

This combination gives perfect results.

I have been through the exact same set of issues and i ended up telling Irrilich that it is a pile of S***T.

If you mesh works it will be displayed fine in the dx viewer. If it is fine in this you know that the model is fine.

You will find that the model, when exported using Kilowatt and panda create rubbish. e.g. all the vertices seem to be stretched and all get warped and the animation moves random vertices around.

Been there done that!

The above solution is the one that i found and i had been searching for months on end trying to find a decent exporter!

There is no solution to your problem that is free apart from creating your own export stuff using max script.

You could however use FBX, it is apparently slightly slower to load into games and doesn't work as smoothly with directx and .x format.

Sorry for the bad news there.

I'm tempted to get together with a load of people and create a plugin to export decent .x files but i'm way to lazy and don't know max script.

The pipeline from modelling software is the hardest part of game dev. for an indie i have found. It takes ages to understand what you want ot export how to export it and then read it back into your game. In particular when there are complex key frame transformations and skinning.

In conclusion, if your .x file doesn't work fine with the directx viewer, the exporter doesn't work!

Use a different format or use the okino way to have a quick and flawless pipeline.

Irrilich lies.. it simply does not support .x all model fiile even if they work fine in dx viewer they get corrupted in Irrilich

You cold use OGRE and use it's mesh format then everything is laid out for you!

IRRILICH SUCKS SOOO BAD... it says it has features which it hasn't got or are broken and everyone thinks it's fine. AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!

END OF RANT

PureBlackSin

oh and P.S. if you see the author/authors of Irrilich, Kilowatt and Panda can you send me their e-mails i want to e-bomb them for wasting so much of my life!

Yes feel free to add your rant about poor game engines and exporters to this forum, or just the forums at myndoko.com and create a thread about how much you hate these people.
For Games, Articles and Custom High End Computers, come visit.Myndoko
Okay, this is way too complicated. I've seen 13 year olds crank up decent-looking first person shooters, so there's got to be an easier way. I'll rephrase my question: what is a good game engine/modeler software combination for developing 3D games in C or Cplusplus?

Thanks again!
Quote:Original post by PureBlackSin

IRRILICH SUCKS SOOO BAD... it says it has features which it hasn't got or are broken and everyone thinks it's fine. AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!

END OF RANT

I would like to know why you think Ogre is easier to use then irrlicht. Irrlicht is easier to set up and has better documentation. It's actually well coded, I think it's more of a Pebkac. :)

If you want to use x format use blender. Dark basic is another option. Download the free trial. You can also use milkshape, wings3d, or truespace 7.6.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement