Sign in to follow this  
optical10

How do I access DirectInput in Xinput new games?

I'm not a games programmer but I do know my way around basic .ini files etc. 1. I'm trying to access the force feedback code so I can use my superior Logitech MOMO force feedback racing wheels FORCE FEEDBACK functionality as well as the Xbox 360 controller VIBRATION in racing games like Codeasters DiRT, GRID etc. The DirectXinput Logitech MOMO racing wheel registers as a controller in the mentioned games but I specifically want force feedback functionality if anybody can help me? 2. I also would like some help accessing the Xinput VIBRATION code Unreal Tournament 3's UTInput.ini file which I have learned from this particular website (Full Xbox360 Controller Support (How-To) http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=586300&highlight=force+feedback ) can be manipulated to show the relevant access screens in game. This time to use the vibration / rumble via the 360 controller that this "Game fo Windows" recognizes but without the PC rumble functionality working even though it now shows as an option as know availble & on but it dosn't provide any vibration. 3. It might be I'm barking up the wrong tree and it's a non-starter because the developers haven't written the two codes in modern PC games, just the one newer Xinput code but I would like a way to check in any New PC game with your help. 4. If the developers haven't included the two codes for the force feedback so I can make use of the older hardware is it possible to write my own or edit the existing code like the UT3's .ini file allows? It feels as though we will have to use our expensive DirectInput wheels & controllers as paper weights if developers don't include the DirectInput code functionality into new games anymore whilst implementing the newer Xinput as well? Any help appreciated. :)

Don't worry I've sorted it myself.

It turns out that for the racing games anyway Windows XP uses the older direct input for force feedback of the same game in Windows Vista 32-bit uses the Xinput for vibration on the Xbox gamepad. both codes seem to be present come in the racing games, which restores my faith and confidence in the game development community.if only unreal tournament three would be as easily flexible with just a vibration on the Xbox 360 controller in Windows XP or Windows Vista then I would be a happy man.

So it looks like I will be using Windows XP , in racing games, for the superior force feedback immersion and against the weaker Xbox arcade like vibration in Windows Vista for the foreseeable future until I invest in a Xbox 360 Force feedback steering wheel.

Hope this helps others.