What's the most widely used 3ds max directx exporter in the industry?

Started by
7 comments, last by gekko 14 years, 9 months ago
as title
Advertisement
The direct X model format is not widely used in the industry.
Use blender
Every engine I've seen or worked with had their own exporter. We have one that we maintain for our tech, and other studios tend to do the same thing. That's probably not very helpful, though. Something that some folks do (and we actually do for certain platforms or types of assets) is to use the Collada exporter, and then just write a tool to convert the DAEs into something that our engine can use.
I'm not sure about the most widely used, but I do hear a fair amount about COLLADA.
Either Collada or FBX, if at all. Most professional developers maintain their own exporters.

But guessing from the thread title the question was for a DirectX .x files exporter. For this format, kwXPort is the only working option I know of.
----------
Gonna try that "Indie" stuff I keep hearing about. Let's start with Splatter.
As you've probably seen already, most game engines have their own optimized file format for their ingame objects. If you are just planning on passing data between 3D apps, then I would suggest FBX or Collada. Those are the two that are most widely used now and that support most features between 3D apps.
FBX and Collada are the most common intermediate formats. Many games will export from Max (or Maya, XSI, etc.) to an intermediate format and then convert from the intermediate format to an optimized format for use in game as a separate step. This optimized format will generally be a custom format specific to the game engine and may be different for each target platform. The advantage of a two stage export pipeline is that you can easily run batch processes on the fat intermediate format without needing to re-export from the DCC app.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Quote:Original post by mattnewportThe advantage of a two stage export pipeline is that you can easily run batch processes on the fat intermediate format without needing to re-export from the DCC app.

You can also build one converter, not one per DCC app.
-- gekko

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement