Sign in to follow this  
AugustWind

Asking the right questions.

Hi, I am considering hiring a game developer from Guru.com. The person seems to have a pretty good grasp of what we need in our 3Dgame/software but since this is my first time thinking of getting a game/software for our company I am concerned if I am asking the right questions and how do we address issues to protect ourselves like copyright will be ours, etc. So the biggest question are: what questions to ask the game developer and what areas do we need to protect ourselves in case of a dispute. I hope this is the place to ask these questions. If not, please accept my apologies I don't intend on spamming here. Thank you.

Be sure to give Joel Spolsky's excellent Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing a read, although it would have been more useful had you were interviewing the programmer in question in person.

You can also consider giving him some small assignments to do. Not a text-book problem though; you have to keep the assignment somewhat unique while practical at the same time. A simplified version of the problem at hand is a good choice. This approach might not be applicable in your situation but its advantage over asking questions or judging based on previous work experiences is that someone's chances of faking his way through would be slimmer. Pair programming with the guy is also a valid option. You're going to learn a lot about someone just by looking at his/her code, so whatever you do, please don't hire the guy without seeing his code. That's the absolute worst approach one can take in hiring a programmer.