Sign in to follow this  
Adassus

How to find people interested in game programming?

Hi all, I started programming recently because I had some ideas that I wanted to turn into reality (isn't that the reason most people learn programming anyway). I'm looking for people interested in joining me in designing/programming these games/apps (or contribute ideas of their own). I'm looking for other people, who don't want to quit their day jobs for, but are interested in game development as a hobby. I already have a working prototype of a game I made. I developed it for windows but I designed it with the Iphone in mind (meaning the whole game can be played with only the mouse, or a finger in the case of the Iphone). The next step would be to port it. Does anyone know where I can find people in my areas that share the same interest? Any good msg boards or online community for meeting amateur developer in my area? I live in Montreal btw, so if anyone reading this is from Montreal and interested, you can reply to this message. A little bit about my goal. I'm looking into designing SIMPLE (but fun) games that don't require expert programming knowledge. My goal is find other like-minded people and get these projects up and running with no financial risk. No financial risk means that everything from the programming, to the art and sound design, would be done by me or someone else interested in forming a group. A little bit about myself. I'm 26 and well versed in computers. I don't program for a living (I work in networks...), but I can code a bit (I learned C++ and Java in engineering school). I can do CGI as well (3D studio max and the likes), but for now, I'm going to focus on developing simple 2D games. I don't plan on quitting my day job for this. This is simply something I'm doing as a hobby and as something that could potentially generate extra income down the line(I realize there are better ways to make money, but this is something I'm real passionate about).

I'm from Quebec city, I'm 23, speak french, finished university (BAC informatique ulaval), had two internship in a game company.

The problem is, everyone want people to join THEIR project, but nobody want to join a project started by someone else, cause it's not their ideas.

While in school, and a bit after, I started programming a game engine. It was beginning to look great and quite stable. Then I got a job (not in game dev) so it's been quite a few months since I touched it. I was currently needing 3d models and textures to continue, let alone more programming. Too much job to be done alone.

My goal was to create a simple game too, with levels composed of basics shapes, ramps, balls, cubes, etc. I won't tell too much details here, but the gameplay design I had in mind was quite simple and fun to play. Still, contrary to you, I decided to use next-gen tech and my engine is running DirectX10. If this would ever get finished, I was planning to distribute it online for PC and on XBox Arcade (just check a few community games there, it's easy to make better than many of them).

I don't mind joining projects other than my own. The goal is to find people interested in developing something as a group. Even for simplest games, if you want something that's commercially viable, you need different sets of skills other than just the coding part (graphics, sound design come to mind). Thats the reason why wanted to join force with other amateur programmer. Like I said, this is totally something I do on my free time.