Sign in to follow this  
dreamport

open source programming help.. linux fedora 10

im learning openGL right now, what do you think should i use for making my maps and characters/objects that are easy to insert inside openGL for programming? does openGL supports blender? so i can easily load my blender files in my GL codes? another thing, can you guys guide me what engine should i use for my blende, im using irrlicht right now, but having troubles with textures when loading converted objects from blender to irrlicht. can you guys give me another good engine for blender rather than irrlicht and blender's own engine... focusing on c++? or any graphics software that can easily be loaded inside GL codes for programming? thnx guys....

Quote:

what do you think should i use for making my maps and characters/objects

Whatever tools you are most familiar with.

Quote:

does openGL supports blender?

No. OpenGL does not even specify a model format. You'll have to write (or find an existing) loader for one of the many model formats Blender can export.

Quote:

another thing, can you guys guide me what engine should i use for my blende, im using irrlicht right now, but having troubles with textures when loading converted objects from blender to irrlicht.

can you guys give me another good engine for blender rather than irrlicht and blender's own engine... focusing on c++?

Continue using Irrlicht, then, and try to figure out what the issue you're having with the model export process is. Other engines are not going to make it any easier. You might try asking on the Irrlicht forums, as they will more likely have the specialized knowledge you require.

Remember, OpenGL is just a rendering API. It doesn't know or care anything about model formats, that's all handled by external code, either code in some higher level API like Irrlicht, or some code you write yourself. So it's not really possible to "load models inside OpenGL." Rather, some other API loads the models from the disk and presents them to OpenGL via OpenGL's defined interface for doing so (such as vertex buffer objects).

If you're looking for alternatives to Irrlicht, you might consider OGRE, which has much better 3D modeling tool support. One of Irrlicht's down sides is that the native model format of Irrlicht (.irrmesh) doesn't support animation, and by many reports the other model importers are buggy. I'm not an Irrlicht user, though, so I can't substantiate these claims.

For more alternatives, check the DevMaster 3D engines database (I filtered the database to only show Production/Stable 3D engines with Linux support for you). Only a subset of those are free, though.

oh i see... i think i should stick with blender for scenes and maps.... but what about my main characters and sprite animation... anyone can give me a good 3d sprite modeler that is open source and supported already by irrlicht...

i wont use blender for sprite animation because irrmesh dont support animation... the only way to process blender files in irrlicht is to convert it to irrmesh...

thnx guys hoping for your reply...

to those who already replied... thnx...

i really love to make my own first game and proposed it to be my thesis...
im really good in c++ i think...