Sign in to follow this  
ventuz_ks

How to achieve Portal effect with view and projection matrix

Hi folks, I would like to achieve a visual effect like in the Portal game. I want to render a room which contains a screen. This screen should display a kind of extension of the room (behaviour like a window). The rendering on the screen must be perspectively correct from any point of view in the room. How do I have to setup and combine the two sets of view and projection matrix for the main room and the room on the screen to achive this effect? This is for a kind of virtual studio setup. Thanks

There's actually a technique for rendering indoor environments called "portals", which im pretty sure is in fact how they are rendering the portals in that game.

Unfortunately if you google any form of "game programming" and "portal" you are probably going to get links to mods for that game or how to mod it (thats what i got last i tried hehe).

But, luckily for you, stencil buffer mirrors work much the same way, and i think would be really easy to adapt to what you are trying to do.

Try googling that (stencil buffer mirrors) and see if you can find a decent tutorial (:

In pseudocode:

/* ... */
struct View
{
Matrix4x4 ViewMatrix;
Matrix4x4 ProjMatrix;
/* ... */
}

RenderScene_Recursive( View view )
{
// In the beginning the view is your player's camera view.
RenderNormalObjects( view );
RenderPortals_Recursive( view );
}

RenderPortals_Recursive( View view )
{
// Perform culling, stop recursion if needed, ...

for each portal
{
SetupStencilBufferAndPreRenderPortal( portal );

// Render the zone connected to the portal.
view.ViewMatrix *= portal.GetExitPortal().ViewMatrix;
RenderScene_Recursive( view );

ResetStencilBufferAndPostRenderPortal( portal );
}
}

[Edited by - PVSector on July 22, 2009 3:04:02 PM]

In that book Eric explains how portals are used for visibility determination
( good old portals like those in Quake, Doom, Red Faction, etc., precalculated PVS or portals placed by artists ). Here, i think, we're talking about transformative portals ( like in Prey, Narbacular Drop, Portal, Portalized ) which are basically holes in space.

(I'm currently researching this topic (after seeing impressive nullsquared's videos) and i've implemented some portal stuff myself.)

Although I don't have space or time to give the details, what you basically want to do is the following:

1) Determine the remote camera position and orientation (the camera transform) that corresponds to the destination of the portal.
2) Build a view frustum in the main scene that encloses the portal.
3) Render the remote scene to that view frustum.
4) Clear the Z buffer.
5) Render a flat planar object (possibly something that's not entirely transparent, but usually something that's invisible) over the portal in the main scene do that the Z buffer is initialized to the plane of the portal.
6) Render the main scene.

Thanks so far!
As PVSector mentioned correctly I´m trying to build a 'hole in space' portal.
My problem is to match the parameters of the camera inside the room (A) that contains the portal and the room (B) 'behind' the portal. The room seen through the portal (B) has to be rendered to a rendertarget so I can´t use the same camera parameters for both rooms because the portal object where the rendertarget texture is applied to scales down my room B. So my room B camera needs at least a different FOV to compensate the scaling. And furthermore I have a problem with the perspective. Looking on a texture applied to a planar object (portal) is not the same as looking through this object. Or is my approach completely wrong?