• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
thekie

global illumination techniques in computer games

This topic is 3374 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello everybody, i have to write an paper for university about the current "state of the art" techniques in order to approximate (or fake) global illumination in real time. i am currently searching for techniques and appropriate papers. here is my current list of techniques: + Ambient Occlusion (and SSAO) + Screenspace Directional Occlusion (SSDO) + Precomputed Radiance Transfer + Irradiance Environment Maps + Image-Based Proxy Accumulation for Real-Time Soft Global Illumination + Image Based Lighting (not good. better for rendering in films!) do you know other techniques or buzzwords i can look after? thank you! .kie

Advertisement
You might want to take a look at Geomerics' Enlighten which is middleware for realtime global illumination. They don't give a huge amount of detail on their site about how their technique works but there's enough to make some educated guesses and the results are pretty impressive.

Quote:
Original post by mattnewport
Chris Oat's work on Irradiance Volumes is also worth a look.

thank you. i just flew over the paper. it seems really realated to the precomputed radiance tansfer i mentioned earlier. is that right?

Quote:
Environment maps bluring in realtime and applying with correction of normals (radiosity.zip)

the link doesn't work for me. :(

thank you.
.kie

Quote:
Original post by thekie
thank you. i just flew over the paper. it seems really realated to the precomputed radiance tansfer i mentioned earlier. is that right?

It's related yes, and also to the Irradiance Environment Maps paper. The basic idea is to light dynamic objects by pre-computing a 3D grid of samples of the lighting environment. It uses spherical harmonics to represent the lighting environment samples in a compact form. Quite a few games use a variation of this technique. We used something similar on Dawn of War 2, though as an RTS where the action is pretty much 2.5D we only used a 2D grid of sample points rather than a full irradiance volume.

Quote:
Original post by mattnewport
It's related yes, and also to the Irradiance Environment Maps paper. The basic idea is to light dynamic objects by pre-computing a 3D grid of samples of the lighting environment. It uses spherical harmonics to represent the lighting environment samples in a compact form. Quite a few games use a variation of this technique. We used something similar on Dawn of War 2, though as an RTS where the action is pretty much 2.5D we only used a 2D grid of sample points rather than a full irradiance volume.

It's nice to have different approaches to the same idea. I will outline the different techniqes and how they are related to each other. I think it's a good way to get a better understanding of the invariant core idea and to see the possible variations of it.

Thank you.
.kie

Quote:
Original post by thekie
Quote:
Environment maps bluring in realtime and applying with correction of normals (radiosity.zip)

the link doesn't work for me. :(

Unfortunately,this link not direct but via filehoster page,just find at this page this link
http://www.aliotnew.narod.ru/Demos/radiocity.zip

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!