global illumination techniques in computer games

Started by
7 comments, last by Krokhin 14 years, 9 months ago
hello everybody, i have to write an paper for university about the current "state of the art" techniques in order to approximate (or fake) global illumination in real time. i am currently searching for techniques and appropriate papers. here is my current list of techniques: + Ambient Occlusion (and SSAO) + Screenspace Directional Occlusion (SSDO) + Precomputed Radiance Transfer + Irradiance Environment Maps + Image-Based Proxy Accumulation for Real-Time Soft Global Illumination + Image Based Lighting (not good. better for rendering in films!) do you know other techniques or buzzwords i can look after? thank you! .kie
Advertisement
You might want to take a look at Geomerics' Enlighten which is middleware for realtime global illumination. They don't give a huge amount of detail on their site about how their technique works but there's enough to make some educated guesses and the results are pretty impressive.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

+Environment maps bluring in realtime and applying with correction of normals (radiosity.zip)
Chris Oat's work on Irradiance Volumes is also worth a look.

Quote:Original post by mattnewport
Chris Oat's work on Irradiance Volumes is also worth a look.

thank you. i just flew over the paper. it seems really realated to the precomputed radiance tansfer i mentioned earlier. is that right?

Quote:Environment maps bluring in realtime and applying with correction of normals (radiosity.zip)

the link doesn't work for me. :(

thank you.
.kie

Shader X7 has a chapter on fake Radiosity. Not the same as Precomputed Radiance Transfer is it?

------------------------------

redwoodpixel.com

Quote:Original post by thekie
thank you. i just flew over the paper. it seems really realated to the precomputed radiance tansfer i mentioned earlier. is that right?

It's related yes, and also to the Irradiance Environment Maps paper. The basic idea is to light dynamic objects by pre-computing a 3D grid of samples of the lighting environment. It uses spherical harmonics to represent the lighting environment samples in a compact form. Quite a few games use a variation of this technique. We used something similar on Dawn of War 2, though as an RTS where the action is pretty much 2.5D we only used a 2D grid of sample points rather than a full irradiance volume.

Quote:Original post by mattnewport
It's related yes, and also to the Irradiance Environment Maps paper. The basic idea is to light dynamic objects by pre-computing a 3D grid of samples of the lighting environment. It uses spherical harmonics to represent the lighting environment samples in a compact form. Quite a few games use a variation of this technique. We used something similar on Dawn of War 2, though as an RTS where the action is pretty much 2.5D we only used a 2D grid of sample points rather than a full irradiance volume.

It's nice to have different approaches to the same idea. I will outline the different techniqes and how they are related to each other. I think it's a good way to get a better understanding of the invariant core idea and to see the possible variations of it.

Thank you.
.kie
Quote:Original post by thekie
Quote:Environment maps bluring in realtime and applying with correction of normals (radiosity.zip)

the link doesn't work for me. :(

Unfortunately,this link not direct but via filehoster page,just find at this page this link
http://www.aliotnew.narod.ru/Demos/radiocity.zip

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement